+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pynk View Post
    What is going without? Without "stuff"? I am going to have #7 in a few weeks. My kids don't go to private school but still do instrumental, get A's on assignments, and play district sport. Are they lacking cos their school isn't private? I have actually put in place a no present rule for birthdays this year as I want my children to appreciate that people are more important then things. To me having my house filled with laughter and kids is more important then buying my kids stuff any day of the week. On their deathbed are they gonna say thanks for the private school or thanks for showing me love?
    Private schooling is one tiny element in it but 7 children to go to public schooling with associated costs of uniform, shoes, bags, books, supplies, excursions, camps etc would prob cost as much as 2 children in low cost private school.

I'm talking about the financial freedom to go shopping without a strict budget, kids being able to participate in extra curricular activities - my two kids do swimming lessons for a term is close to $200 for both, dancing here is $90 a term etc etc, being able to on a whim go out for dinner or lunch without it breaking a budget, new clothes not constant hand me downs etc

I guess like I've said all along it's personal preference as to what you perceive 'going without' means

But people who have posted in this thread have said they are relying on baby bonus payments to pay rent in one breath and that they want 5 children in the next - if you can't afford rent, you cannot afford another baby!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawzette View Post
    My children also attend a private school and all my family lives over seas. We dont make huge amounts of money I am asahm but we dont have flash things. Like someone else already said on your death bed kids will not thank you for material items but for the love you show them.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    This is the second post that has stated that children will thank you for the love shown to them? Why assume that people who are financially secure = materialistic parents who show no love to their kids? LOL

My husband earns very good money but we don't have flash things. We have one very old computer, no game consoles, no iPads, we only have one living room, my husband drives a beat up 1994 Holden ute. My children wear hand-me-downs, we buy second-hand things (and I'm not ashamed of that, I'm doing my bit for the environment ) but we also enjoy going out for dinner when we feel like it, and if we want to buy something new, we can.

My children certainly do not have the latest and greatest of everything and they sure know that we love them, but children cannot survive on love alone.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 11-03-2012 at 19:10.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneDoe View Post
    Private schooling is one tiny element in it but 7 children to go to public schooling with associated costs of uniform, shoes, bags, books, supplies, excursions, camps etc would prob cost as much as 2 children in low cost private school.

I'm talking about the financial freedom to go shopping without a strict budget, kids being able to participate in extra curricular activities - my two kids do swimming lessons for a term is close to $200 for both, dancing here is $90 a term etc etc, being able to on a whim go out for dinner or lunch without it breaking a budget, new clothes not constant hand me downs etc

I guess like I've said all along it's personal preference as to what you perceive 'going without' means

But people who have posted in this thread have said they are relying on baby bonus payments to pay rent in one breath and that they want 5 children in the next - if you can't afford rent, you cannot afford another baby!!

And I comfortably do all that with just one wage under 80,000 a year and 4 children.

We play sports etc here and also attend private school. We also just go out on a whim, I don't budget for groceries. We go camping and to nice resorts. And as odd as this is going to sound to many of you we also pay our church we attend. Still manage to pay all our bills, fill up the fuel tank, live in a 5 bedroom house etc.

We are happy and so aare our kids.. to me finances will never rule how many kids I have.. it all works out in the end for us.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pawzette For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (11-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    This is the second post that has stated that children will thank you for the love shown to them? Why assume that people who are financially secure = materialistic parents who show no love to their kids? LOL

My husband earns very good money but we don't have flash things. We have one very old computer, no game consoles, no iPads, we only have one living room, my husband drives a beat up 1994 Holden ute. My children wear hand-me-downs, we buy second-hand things (and I'm not ashamed of that, I'm doing my bit for the environment ) but we also enjoy going out for dinner when we feel like it, and if we want to buy something new, we can.

My children certainly do not have the latest and greatest of everything and they sure know that we love them, but children cannot survive on love alone.

Your right.. they can't survive on love alone, they need bread and water to survive also. So you give that to them too..but they don't need to travel, haev take away dinners etc to survive is what I was getting at. So yes on your death bed or mine at least I hope my children don't end up saying to me thanks for nothing but love mum. I pray that my children can respect whatI have given them in life and most of all the love I gave them.

I in no way said that materialistic parents never loved their children.. I am sure they do!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Your right.. they can't survive on love alone, they need bread and water to survive also. So you give that to them too..but they don't need to travel, haev take away dinners etc to survive is what I was getting at. So yes on your death bed or mine at least I hope my children don't end up saying to me thanks for nothing but love mum. I pray that my children can respect whatI have given them in life and most of all the love I gave them.

I in no way said that materialistic parents never loved their children.. I am sure they do!!
    No, you don't need to travel to survive, but family is very important to my husband and I, so travel to us is important since my husband's parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, siblings etc. live overseas. Traveling is the best education!

Oh, and we don't have takeaway that often!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    If the judgement on who can and cannot afford children was private school fees I think there would be a hell of a lot less children in this world I know lots of people who earn good incomes who do not believe they can afford to send their children to private school. I would assume this just means that this is not as high a priority as it is to others on lower incomes who manage to.

Money impacts on our decisions with our children but ultimately we are happy to have any children we are gifted enough to conceive.

Incidently- our local catholic schools charge the same for one child as they do for four. This only changes once they go to high school. Has been this way for nearly 30 years
    Our school does the same thing. It is a school affiliated with our denomiation of church. We pay each week a set amount.. it doesnt' matter if you have one or 6 kids going to the school. Our church community as a whole pays for our school. We all support it and we all send our kids to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    No, you don't need to travel to survive, but family is very important to my husband and I, so travel to us is important since my husband's parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, siblings etc. live overseas. Traveling is the best education!

Oh, and we don't have takeaway that often!
    Oh don't get me wrong.. that is VERY important to me also.. I have NO family here in Australia at all All of my family live in Toronto, Canada.. so a REALLY long flight from Perth WA!!!
    We did manage to go last year to see them

How often do you go back?

We are also fortunate enough to have my mum and dad come visit us!

Thanks
    Reviews
    And I comfortably do all that with just one wage under 80,000 a year and 4 children.

We play sports etc here and also attend private school. We also just go out on a whim, I don't budget for groceries. We go camping and to nice resorts. And as odd as this is going to sound to many of you we also pay our church we attend. Still manage to pay all our bills, fill up the fuel tank, live in a 5 bedroom house etc.

We are happy and so aare our kids.. to me finances will never rule how many kids I have.. it all works out in the end for us.
    Do you have a mortgage for that 5 bedroom house?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh don't get me wrong.. that is VERY important to me also.. I have NO family here in Australia at all All of my family live in Toronto, Canada.. so a REALLY long flight from Perth WA!!!
    We did manage to go last year to see them

How often do you go back?

We are also fortunate enough to have my mum and dad come visit us!
    We last went in September 2010. Will go back next year. Our aim is to go every 2 years, but we just got married in January, and have almost finished renovations, so it's not within our budget this year. Family from overseas visit us every year or so.
    My husband's mum and aunt came for the wedding, his dad, mum and brother cane out in May last year.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 11-03-2012 at 19:33.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Pawzette  (11-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH and I are on an average wage but for me finances would not decide if I wanted to have another child. The health of my babies does. We have a 1 in 4 chance that our babies will either not survive a pregnancy or will be born with a terminal condition. I would love, love, love to have another baby but my decision may already be made for me

14. The Following User Says Thank You to L.j For This Useful Post:

Pawzette  (11-03-2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast