+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trishalishous View Post
    not at all. we can always make do financially, no matter how many children we are blessed with
    This is how we have approached having both of our girls. However third time around we are definitely having to pause and think it through more thoroughly. We can afford our daycare fees now, but add another child with 4 days/week daycare fees.... it's scary!

However, we just keep thinking about our beautiful big family of the future... we kinda feel that maybe we leap now(soon) and think later because our ultimate vision is a big family. We can't make the maths work right now, but we know we could make it work well no matter what.

So yes it is a consideration, but NEVER a deciding factor

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It is most definitely a deciding factor in our family. Financial stress cripples me. I would not want to stretch us beyond our means. With only two children we could still afford a few luxuries and not have to say no too often.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by trishalishous View Post
    not at all. we can always make do financially, no matter how many children we are blessed with
    I agree.

Although, the fact that it will be easier financially with just 2 does go onto the PRO's list for sticking with what we've got.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I met DH in my mid 30's, so my age played more of a factor.

Financially we would have been better off waiting with both kids, but I wanted to have them before I was 40 due to the increased risks as you get older.

I've always thought I wanted 3, but DD isn't even born yet, so having 2 may change my mind! Even if it doesn't, 2 is the limit as I will be 40 next year and this pregnancy has been pretty hard on me. I like a 2 year gap and I just can't imagine doing this again in 2 years with 2 kids.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It was a factor to consider for us, but it wasn't a deciding factor by any means.
    The deciding factor was that our family wasn't complete yet. That being said, if we didn't have the money to stretch it just wouldn't happen. But I guess it all depends on what you see as 'essential' to your children's lives.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (10-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Never with DD and probably the same if we wanted another.

We saved like crazy when I was pregnant though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not at all but I don't deny that having more financial security is better for a family.. However we already started early and poor .. Accidentally.. I didn't want to wait another ten years and have a massive gap between kids just for the financial security. Having a third is out of the question because our relationship is unstable and that is way more of a big deal than money imo

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (10-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with a few PP, time is way harder to stretch than money (for me). We have done it poor, and I am not any happier now with money than I was then- without. We had everything second hand and made do with what we had. I don't think it hurts kids to miss out on things sometimes (financially).

Having said that, finances do come into the equation but are not the deciding factor. My feelings of being incomplete outweigh financial stuff. We also have not planned half of our pregnancies, and this last one is twins which will make a BIG difference financially- we will NEED a bigger house, we have no family here so will NEED some help, childcare when I am back at uni will cost a small fortune etc. But we'll cope. We won't starve and the kids don't need expensive everything so it'll be fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is a pretty big factor for us.

Aside from wanting to properly provide for our children into adulthood, if we had more than two it would mean needing a bigger house and car which would place us under financial strain rather than being comfortable which we are now.

Limiting our family also allows me greater freedom to work part-time rather than fulltime (when I finish maternity leave). I really value the financial freedom to spend that extra time with my family and for us that would be compromised with more children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely a factor and is why we will only have two. We want to be able to afford nice holidays, see family overseas, school fees, etc and three kids would definitely mean we couldn't do all that. Not sure I could continue to work 3/4 days a week with3 kids either!