+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How much did finances decide how many babies you had?

I have two beautiful DDs and always thought I would only have two children. In my heart I've been thinking it might be nice to have a third, most probably because DD2 has been a good sleeper. But then my head tells me it would be such a big change financially that maybe I should just be content with my DDs. DH isn't keen to have another for this reason. We're comfortable with our money and work hard for what we have and so we can afford some of the extras we want. So just wondering how many others based the number of children they had on their finances, or did it not really matter in your decision to have more?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Was the major factor! More kids = bigger house, bigger car, 3x school fees, clothes, shoes, extra curricular, food!!

We live comfortably now and never 'go without' 3 kids would mean things would mean we would have to sacrifice extra 'wants' to meet 3 children's 'needs'!

No thanks! I enjoy my lifestyle and providing well for 2 children more than jeopardizing that for 3!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JaneDoe For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (13-03-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    not at all. we can always make do financially, no matter how many children we are blessed with

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (10-03-2012),Annabella  (10-03-2012),Danigail  (12-03-2012),LoveLivesHere  (11-03-2012),Lovemyfam  (12-03-2012),MamaC  (10-03-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (11-03-2012),Mod-Uniquey  (12-03-2012),roz2288  (05-04-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    (that said we already have a 4x2, and drive a 7 seater (though currently set for 5) and school fees etc arent an issue)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think it's sensible to consider finances before starting or adding to a family.

I'm still deciding on one more, and financial factors do play a big part. Big factors are childcare and the teenage years lol, plus it's a lot more difficult to get financial approval for things when you have a few dependents.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 09-03-2012 at 21:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Funnily enough, the thing I would consider more is time. How thin can I spread myself? 3 would be my limit. I can have 3 without the need for a new car or bigger house. I can handle 3 lots of activities. I can't see myself coping with more than 3 lots of kids sports/activities/school things. Finances can be stretched (for me) easier than time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (10-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It didn't come into the question when we thought about children or more children, but it didn't have to as we are quite comfortable and still would be with a few more bundles of joy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Lol I mentioned this in another thread.

For me it greatly decides how many children we have.

We have 2 and are ttc for just 1 more.

We would like more but we have to look after the 2 maybe 3 we have. We simply could not give them what we want to if we have more.

For US we want each child to be financial sound. A house for each debt free, a good education and funds for university if that's their chosen path. This is what we are working for and hope to achieve when they are young adults. We also want to leave them a good healthy inheritance for future finical struggle (incase). I would hope the money will also be passed on.

We want to travel to 3rd world countries to educate them about how fortunate they are and what they can do and generally give them an insight into another world.

We want to afford to send them to dancing, soccer, music classes etc anything that interests them.

We are going to send them to a private school because in our area that school is very good and I want to give them the very best chance.

Not just about them though. We need to make sure we are financially sound and own our house, have investments etc for when we retire. I believe that in time for retiring that cost of living will outweigh our (social services) dwindling pension and cannot rely on the need for it.

Example. We stop work at 70 live till 90 then we need enough founds to live well knowing medical expenses etc will arise for 20 years. I don't want to burden our children and truth is who knows what life will be like then.

I should add I would not wish my children to have a free ride on life but to do well and provide well for not only their own future but the future of their children and their children's children and so on.

As you see the desire for more children doesn't out way the logical sense of financial stability all families need today and in the future.

This is ONLY my opinion and whilst it may not be yours please respect that this is one way we feel we are doing our best at being parents.
    Last edited by 1CrazyMoose; 10-03-2012 at 00:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely finances matter. We would like to be able to provide our kids with a comfortable lifestyle, let them experience trips overseas, be able to do extra activities if they wish etc.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It factors into it for sure.
    I think more about how crap my figure would be after 3-4-5 kids

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lemonhead For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (10-03-2012),jagamoe  (18-12-2012)