+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Kids in front seat of car in NSW ?

At what age in NSW can a child legally sit in the front seat when all back seats are taken up by younger children?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I believe it is the same nationwide now, and that the answer is 4yo (with the proper booster or harness).

Edit - I may be wrong. It may be six months (with a forward facing seat with an inbuilt 5 point harness). I know they can sit in the front in a vehicle that doesn't have back seats in those circumstances.

I also know there is no provision at all for a rearfacing seat or capsule in the front seat, which is what is required for a child <6mo.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 09-03-2012 at 12:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ok well I think that's wrong if it is 4 year old way to young I was wanting to know for when my son is 7 in a couple months if he can sit in the front when we have a full car I wouldn't let him now he is still in a bulged in seat.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Scroll down and about half way down is the bit about front seats.
    http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...laws_faqs.html

This depends on whether there is more than one row of seats in the car and the age of the child.

Where there are two or more rows of seats:

A child under four years of age cannot sit in the front row of a car if there is more than one row of seats, even if they are large enough to fit in a booster seat.
    A child between four years of age and under seven years of age cannot sit in the front row of a vehicle that has more than one row of seats unless the other rows are occupied by younger children in an approved child restraint.
    Note: you can only fit a booster seat in the front row of a vehicle if that booster seat does not require a top tether strap.

If the car has one row of seats (for example a single cab ute or sports car with a front anchorage point) a child of any age can sit in the front seat provided they are properly restrained. However, most car manufacturers recommend against the use of rearward facing restraints in front passenger seats.

A child in a rearward facing restraint should not be placed in the front seat of a vehicle where there is an air bag.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I thought it was 12...hahaha shows how much I know!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    I thought it was 12...hahaha shows how much I know!
    My personal preference is 13 or over, unless the child reaches the height of an average adult before that time.