+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    if it's not a good friend or family member i see no problem,

my sons name is Quincy and was going to be just Quinn (we call him Quinn mostly) a few months after my Quinn was born a little girl called was born and named Quinn,

you don't own a name, No matter how differant it is

Sent from my T3020 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm of the opinion that no one owns a name so if you love it, use it!

My eldest is Charlotte and my cousin named her third child Charlotte. It doesn't bother me at all. We obviously have impeccable taste in names

Thanks
    Reviews
    I pretty much did exactly what ur talking about OP!

I met up with my old Music Teacher (about 6 years after school) and her little baby girl, and fell in LOVE with the name. It's not unusual, just uncommon (Cadence).

Anyway, about 3 years later I found out I was preg with a girl and even though it hadn't occurred to me to use it, I couldn't get Cadence far enough out of my head to think of other names. So after much deliberation I sent her message asking/telling her I was planning to use it and she seemed pretty happy with the idea. We talk about our Cadences often.

When Cady was about 5 months old an acquaintance from Facebook announced her brothers new baby named EXACTLY the same (Cadence Leigh). I doubt they copied us, but if they did, I would be flattered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would quietly care.. BUT I wouldn't ever say anything!!
    Not for the fact that they "stole" my name neither of my children have unique names though I have never met a girl with my daughters name but have met one boy. I have met someone with my sons name but spelt with a k instead of a c!
    I picked my kids names because I knew no one with those names in my general circle those names are unique so I would be a little dis heartened that they are no longer that!
    Someone in my due group used the same middle name as my son and it just quietly ****ed me off as it was special to us it ment something I said from pretty much the moment of conception that it would be his middle name and then this baby was born before my son and my heart literally feel from my chest when I read it but I guess it's just the middle name but I was a little upset! See I am one that if I see a name mentioned I wouldn't ever use it cos it will remind me of that person I would rather find my own names!
    Sorry for the long ranty post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS does not have a common name and we only announced it at birth and a friend who was pregnant and due after me had a hissy because that is what she planned on naming her DS! (I wasn't even aware of this until after we named him)

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=scarymarygoldfish;6428704]Thanks so much for your replies! I really don't want to put the name here just in case she sees (paranoid I know).

QUOTE]

ScaryMaryGoldfish-Please I have to know the name. PLEASE. PM me if you feel uncomfortable posting. I won't tella soul I promise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd be flattered.

If someone like my best friend named her son after mine I might find it strange that she wouldn't choose to differ but I wouldn't be angry or anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Is this person likely to be in your life (and child's life) in 2 years? 5? 10? 20? If they arent close, I don't think it's an issue, even if they're offended.

Though I'd maybe give them the heads up - not asking permission, just letting them know. Though not until you're signing documents - if you change your mind then no harm done they never need to know you thought about 'stealing' their name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is named Bentley, which is really uncommon these days. I know of another couple who recently had a son and named him Bentley - I don't even know this people and it made me feel weird. I don't think I could handle knowing someone named their son the same. But that's just me. If it were a name that was unusual but becoming common like Ryder I wouldn't mind, but seriously before this other boy I only knew of one other Bentley (helloooo 16 & pregnant ;-) )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't like it if someone copied DD's name.

Sure, it's a free world, and no one owns a name. But I would also exercise my 'free world' right to be upset about it!

If someone asked me if I minded, then I would say to them that the choice was theirs, and that they had to choose what worked for them, BUT that I felt a bit funny about it too.