+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Slightly confused about dates..

I suck at maths, just putting that out there.

Say my last MP was round the 18 December 2011, but I KNOW babe was conceived round the 31st December...how can they tell me im 2 weeks further along than I know I am?

According to them im almost 12 weeks and baby is due round the 22nd September, going by my last MP...but according to me, from 31st December, that would make me almost 10 weeks....I think.
    And even though I told them I knew when babe was conceived, they still said 'yes but we take it from the day of your last MP'...which is crazy to me.

So are they basically telling me that when I go for my c section round 38 weeks, my baby will only be 36 weeks and will be born 4 weeks early??!!!!!

How can they do that?

It's all really rather confusing.Can anyone explain it to me in a simple way??

I took my ticker date from the date off my scan pics which said I was 6 weeks 5 days on the 10th Feb.....

My head hurts with it all...
    Last edited by GothChick; 09-03-2012 at 08:00.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Yeah it's a bit nuts but the date is calculated from the first day of your last period, so technically you're not actually pregnant for the first 2 weeks of your pregnancy.

This only 'works' if you have a 28 day cycle and ovulate smack bang in the middle. If you have a longer cycle (like me) then the due date should be adjusted accordingly.

(I use the term 'works' flippantly as only a very small percentage of babies are actually born on their due date, I think it might be around the 5% mark.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So say someone has there baby right on the 40 week mark ,the actual baby has only been growing for 38 weeks? Does that mean then that people who have c sections round the 38 week mark are actually giving birth to a baby that is only 36 weeks old??

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is all a bit confusing but from my knowledge due dates are just estimates based on your lmp. 40 weeks is counted from then even though you aren't actually pregnant until around 3 weeks later. Don't stress about it, I would use their dates purely for the estimate they are. If you did conceive early in the cycle then your baby might date older on scans and would appear to come 'early'. If you conceived later in the cycle then it would date younger and appear to come 'late'.

They wouldn't be delivering any baby that doesn't appear to be ready by the scans unless in an emergency situation.

Congrats on your pregnancy and try to take it easy

Thanks
    Reviews
    In case I wasn't clear

You aren't actually pregnant for 40 weeks. Only around 37-38.

Lmp is the best predictor because you usually know exactly when that was as opposed to ovulation and fertilisation which can happen at different times.

Sent from my GT-S5660 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dates are always taken from the first day of your lmp... never the conception date so the dates they are going by would be correct.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well all that just sucks! How are you supposed to have a c section round the 38 weeks mark if all the dates are so wishy washy and the fetus could be younger or older than the estimated date..

I guess ill have to, omg if im 11 weeks 5 days, as according to lmp n all that stuff, I need to book my 12 week scan now eek!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yup. Health care providers will always go based on LMP (or dating scan) for what gestation you are. It's why the EDD is only an *estimate* and should be taken with a grain of salt. It's also why "normal" pregnancy is considered between 38-42 weeks

So yes, for the sake of any ante-natal testing you would like done, you would have to go by the dates that your care providers are using.