+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Breastfeeding and return of periods?

I'm still breastfeeding my 8 month old DD and haven't yet had my periods return. I kind of expected them to return when I stopped exclusively BFing and introduced solids. That was 2.5 months ago now and still nothing.
    Just wondering when I can be expecting a visit from AF?

Milky mumma since July 2011

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nudge88 For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (09-03-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It really depends on your hormone levels.

P.S your not still breastfeeding, you are breastfeeding

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got my first period 11 months after birth. I thought it would come once I started solids and reduce breastfeeds etc but it didn't.

About a week before I got AF I reduced my dd's breast feeds from 5-6 feeds to 1-2 per day. I think it is this that changed things. Also my period returned when I had not done any night feeding for a few wks. I read somewhere (I could be wrong) something about night feeding that inhibits ovulation? I don't know why I feel like I read that somewhere.
    Last edited by Mummy2MissA; 09-03-2012 at 01:20.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD was 12 months before mine returned, and I had 7 irregular cycles, then fell pregnant again.
    I am BF and intend to tandem feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My lo is nearly 7 months and since i started work ive only been bf at night and in the morning. Its been 6 weeks since ive stopped exclusivley bf and still nothing for me either

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummy2MissA View Post

About a week before I got AF I reduced my dd's breast feeds from 5-6 feeds to 1-2 per day. I think it is this that changed things. Also my period returned when I had not done any night feeding for a few wks. I read somewhere (I could be wrong) something about night feeding that inhibits ovulation? I don't know why I feel like I read that somewhere.
    If this is true, then AF is many months away. Like Eliot I have returned to work and feed DD in the morning before I leave for work, when I get home and then 4 times at night. I also express twice at work.
    I plan to BF at least until 2. So hopefully I still have many months AF-free!!!

Milky mumma since July 2011

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    AF returned when my ds was about 8 months old. It arrived about 2 weeks after ds went to 3 times a day solids. The irony was that he only managed 3 times a day solids for 2 days, then refused solids except for a small meal once a day and went back to almost exclusive BFing ... then AF arrived. I was seriously unimpressed.

I'm waiting to see what happens this time around. No AF yet but dd is only 5 months old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I already have mine back But I think that's because I have been feeding 50 / 50 FF and BF sure to work and supply.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 7 mths and no AF here. I BF but expected AF when I started solids. My DD seems to only feed 4-5 times a day now but still no signof AF which suits me fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    AF returned for me last week and DS is 15.5 months old. He slept through for 5 nights in a row till 5 or 6am and AF came straight away