+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    loop is offline Two kiddos keeping me on my toes :-)
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Can an anoying phone call from DP stop prelabour??

I told DP earlier that I have been having regular BHs which have been getting a little painful and coming in 30-40 min intervals. So still very latent, but somehow I knew we are having our baby girl very soon!
    Then on the way home he calls me to let me know, he is just going down to the beach, cause the waves are so good and he wont be able to get a surf in the next few weeks will he. Ok so far I could cope and had expected this. DS had gone down for a nap, so I could finally focus on myself a bit.
    Then DP tells me 'the bad news' that he has to go to a work dinner later on, approx 2hrs. Of course he has his phone with him and can come any moment, bla bla. He is about to quit that bl00dy job, why does he have to go anyway??? And its not like I expect to have to rush to hospital in the next few hours, but when you feel like your going into labour you kinda dont want to be alone with your 3y old do you? He could have at least come home to take care of DS' dinner and check on me instead of going fing surfing!
    I swear since that phone call everything has stopped. No nore BHs, no more periody feeling.
    Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I twice had pre-labour start to turn serious. First time, I found out my doula was at another birth. Second time, I had a fight with my DH. Both times my labour slowed right down.

Also, I sent DH out to dinner because I was cross at him, and almost as soon as he left I had contractions more regular and intense.

Before I had labour I had no idea how much labour was affected by your emotions and mind.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaNurture For This Useful Post:

loop  (08-03-2012)

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Some people experience prelabour on and off for weeks. Maybe your emotions affected it, but maybe they didn't.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

loop  (08-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Other mammals labour stops in times of stress (horses, monkeys etc) so why not humans? Might sound silly and I hope thats not perceived as rude but it kind of makes sense.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

loop  (08-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaNurture View Post
    I twice had pre-labour start to turn serious. First time, I found out my doula was at another birth. Second time, I had a fight with my DH. Both times my labour slowed right down.

Also, I sent DH out to dinner because I was cross at him, and almost as soon as he left I had contractions more regular and intense.
    So when did you have bubs? Did labour really kick in then??
    DP has come home after surfing and now left again. And sure enough here come the pains again, nothing serious but still, its more than it has been. Oh well, he is only 20min away, I can call him back if things really heat up.

Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    Some people experience prelabour on and off for weeks. Maybe your emotions affected it, but maybe they didn't.
    Yeah I have had prelabour on and off for about 3 weeks now, but never as painful (albeit still not bad) as today. Also I was kinda in the right mindset cause as of today, my preferred babysitter for DS has finished some project at work, its almost the weekend plus I was hoping on the full moon and that solar storm or what it is to help things along. I am 40+3 so I dont know what DD is waiting for really...

I totally agree with Mamanurture, emotions can influence labour and birth a lot. I had a mental block when in labour with DS and am convinced that was one factor leading to an emergency CS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah I think it can. And I think we can have some level of control over when we have (or more don't have) a baby. When I was in labour with my first I actually managed to "hold on" for AGES! Because my idiot boyfriend called me and said he and his friend did a burnout in a car over an hour away and popped two tyres. Wtf?!?! So I actually managed to drive to my parents, pick up spare tyres, pick idiot 1 and idiot 2 up and get home and only then did my labour ramp up again.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

loop  (08-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    bumMum - that made me laugh (I guess thats something you can only laugh about in hindsight...)
    A friend of a friend told me at a bday party the other day, how she was overdue and DH had to go help neighbour farmers with a fire. She then remembered their sheep and rode 1hr on a motorbike to get the sheep, hearding them over the fields, through gates and all - what a sight! Sure enough 6hrs after all that she had her baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it can affect you and put a halt to things. When I was in the delivery room, middle of contractions, DH decided to pop home for a steak. (don't get me started) and things slowed down. I was almost going to be taken back down to the ward so I called DH told him to move it and he got there about a half hour later and dd was born about twenty minutes later. It was like once I knew all was cool things could happen. But when he was away it was on hold.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubs'n'Roses For This Useful Post:

loop  (08-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Definitely can have an impact - it's why labour temporarily slows for so many of us when we initially arrive at hospital. New environment & people, getting comfortable, anxiety etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loop View Post
    bumMum - that made me laugh (I guess thats something you can only laugh about in hindsight...)
    A friend of a friend told me at a bday party the other day, how she was overdue and DH had to go help neighbour farmers with a fire. She then remembered their sheep and rode 1hr on a motorbike to get the sheep, hearding them over the fields, through gates and all - what a sight! Sure enough 6hrs after all that she had her baby
    Oh it does make me laugh a lot now and he was great for the actual birth. I think us women are so amazing, our bodies are really amazing and we can be very intuitive when we need to be. Good luck hope your baby comes along soon

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk