+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default When should I start optimal positioning?

I'm 24+3 with my 2nd and am having a VBAC this time round. DS was posterior and wasn't engaged when I was induced with him. I had very little knowledge first time round about proper posture, sitting positions and optimal fetal positioning. This time I'm determined to do everything I can to encourage Newbie to be engaged and not posterior or breech (a fear I have which would almost kill the VBAC).

I love kicking back in the old recliner at night with a cuppa but I'm wondering if I should start sitting in "proper" positions now or do I have a few weeks up my sleeve? And when should I start optimal fetal positioning? I've trawled the spinning babies website but can't find info on when to start.

I'm pretty sure Newbie lies transverse or breech most of the time at the moment as I get kicks in the side and low down.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump
    Would love to know to

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not sure if this is helpful but I found out that my posterior bub was somewhat due to my severely misaligned hips/pelvis. I'm seeing a chiro weekly to realign them. But I too am interested in knowing when to start optimal positioning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This is a subject close to my heart as my 2nd and 3rd babies were successful Vbacs after my first was a breech bub and like you, before my first Vbac I was so mindful of OFP in order to be able to get the baby in the best head down position for a Vbac.

Firstly, ditch the recliner! As comfy as they, (I have recliners too) they are not good for OFP and if you do have to sit in one, make sure your feet/legs are lower than your stomach and sit up straight. I am a week ahead of you in pregnancy and I have just started to try and sit up straight everywhere, I sit in chairs back to front and where at all possible try and not recline or lay about. If you use a computer/laptop, again, sit up straight as I am sure you know time can fly by when you're on one and you want that time to be with good posture.

As for time, I think the sooner the better, as that way you get in the 'habit' of sitting up straight and not being inclined to slouch or recline. Any possible chance I get (and it's a lot with little ones making mess about), I get on all fours and use the dust pan and brush, pick up stuff off the floor/carpet, scrub the shower etc, any chance to be on all fours!

So yes, in answer to your question, I think now, is as good as any.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You have to definately watch your posture. Avoid sitting in reclined positions, slouching etc. After 36 weeks if your baby is still bottom first then he/she will be termed breech. There has been a lot of success turning babies just by correct any pelvic/sacrum misalignment. Try and find a chiropractor who is familiar with the Webster's Chiropractic technique. This technique works on releasing the muscles and ligaments that may be preventing your baby from turning.

loop is offline Two kiddos keeping me on my toes :-)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I am 40+4 and I basically had the same as labour last time you OP, posterior baby, not engaged, head deflexed, failure to progress, syntocin, fetal distress, section. He was posterior most of the pregnancy, and I wasnt really aware how important postioning can be for the birth.
    Anyway, this time round I have been seeing a chiropractor to realign my pelvis. This did seem to work, as I had no back pain, no hip pain, no SPD like I did last pregnancy, plus bubs was in the perfect LOA position most of the time. I thoroughly recommend seeing a chiro ASAP
    Sadly, bubs has turned now to ROA, tending posterior again. The midwives keep telling me to walk lots, climb stairs, lean forward, sit on a fitball. So the earlier you can get used to these positions in every day life the better.
    On the other hand I have been reading loads of books on labour, VBAC ect, and most say the best you can do if OFP is not working, is to take on all these forward leaning positions while in early labour. The contractions will only then have an effect on baby, so use gravity to push bubs the right way round. The spinning babies is of course a great reference. I fully plan to try that pelvic lift and tuck when things start happening, it just seems logical and comfortable. And I'm practising all the forward leaning labour positions when I get the dreaded braxton hicks, that way I might find it easier to do when in labour. Last time I was on the toilette most of the time, leaning back. Duh...