+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How often should a newborn feed?

My 8 week old feeds every 1 to 2 hours, but generally closer to 1 especially on hot days and during her last growth spurt. (except when sleeping) She hasn't been gaining enough weight according to the chn and said that I should holding out to 2 hours. IMO if DD is hungry I should be feeding her, regardless of the time between feeds. What do you think?

The chn has also suggested I may not have enough milk and should start comp feeding, which I would rather not do and not sure I agree with.

Has anyone else had these issues?

Sent from my LT15i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I ignore everything my chn has said to me, for this reason. If bubs is hungry feed them! It will increase your supply, just make sure bubs is feeding long enought to get the fatty hind milk - this is what will keepp bubs full.

My lil man, fed like what felt like, non stop for 3mths straight - his weight has never satisfied the chn, but he is a happy healthy, still boobie feeding 15mth old!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 4babycinos For This Useful Post:

share a book  (08-03-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Find a different CHN - one that it supportive of bf.

Feed as often as the newborn wants. My DD fed nonstop for the first 3 months, I kid you not. I've never watched the clock to see how often she feeds but even at 14 months now it can be ever hour or so sometimes. Don't stress about weight gain, better indication sare if they are having sufficient wet nappies, are they showing signs of dehydration etc? There are also different weight gain charts for bf babies. There are also plenty of things you can do to help weight gain before reaching for the forumula such as increasing supply through expressing and eating lactation boosting food (see other threads for lots of ideas).
    BF a newborn can be excrutiatingly difficult so best of luck.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Bgirl  (08-03-2012),share a book  (08-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The way I see it... We eat when we are hungry, why not a baby who has a stomach the size of a marble! Babys run on their hunger clock, not one in a book or timetable.

Sent from my GT-S5830T using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mahjong For This Useful Post:

Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    sorry to crash, i'm completely unqualified in this, but your baby hasn't been gaining enough weight so feed her less often? that would be an alarm bell for me!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fabulous advice given so far! And I second the suggestion to find another chn or I gave them up completely!

You know your baby better than anyone and it sounds like you are confident and comfortable in what you are doing. It sounds like completely normal newborn behaviour to feed that often. I personally also fed on demand and never attempted to stretch out DS's feeds. It's great for your supply and prepares you for their crazy growth spurts! I can only imagine how DS would react if I suddenly made him wait so I don't think I'll ever try it

You are doing a fabulous job and from the tiny bit of info you gave, your DD sounds very normal and healthy As hard as it is, trust that clever body of yours!!

Congrats and enjoy this special time as they grow up WAY too fast!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkiCuddles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Feeding on demand is best at this age. When my bubba was a week/ two weeks old she wasn't putting on any weight or waking for feeds so I was told by the hospital to not go past 3 hours. Now we have a good thing going. She is awake for an hour and a half, will feed and then sleeps for 40 mins to an hour. Also on solids as she's a bit older than yours. Back when she was just new i'd feed her as often as she'd want, sometimes every hour. And sometimes it would take an hour to feed her so I really felt like a milking machine lol

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Violet belle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the info! I have just got back from seeing a different chn who did not make me feel bad! Her advice was to feed as often as necessary, and it urns out she was having a growth spurt this last week which explains the very little weight gain (well to me it does anyway!) so we will see how DD goes over the next couple of weeks!

Sent from my LT15i using BubHub

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellies Mum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good to hear! Thanks for the update

Keep up the good work and enjoy your gorgeous little girl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mine fed for 20 minutes, was off for 40 minutes then fed for 20 minutes, she went to hourly feeds after 3 months and I was apparently overfeeding her but she was active (later found out adhd and asd lol) and now at nearly 9 she is underweight so feed whenever bub wants.