View Poll Results: How much did your Blu Ray player cost?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • $0 - $200

3 37.50%
  • $200 - $400

1 12.50%
  • $400 - $600

3 37.50%
  • $600 or more

1 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hmmmm yes with the surround system you wouldn't be paying less than $600, but the guy is talking about JUST a 3D Blu Ray player. No speakers or anything.

I bought a Pioneer region free 3D Blu Ray player yesterday for $130,-

These things have come down in price so much in the last few years. That's another reason why I refuse to buy something expensive, as I know that 2 years later, it would be worth nothing anymore.
    Th only reason they were so expensive a few years ago, is because it was new technology. Same with 3D TV's. When going to uni 10 years ago, I was selling goods in a shop similar to The Good Guys in Europe. Philips had just come out with the very first plasma TV. It "only" cost $20000,-
    Now 10 years later and you're looking at 2-3% of that price

My ex bought me a Philips Plasma TV 4 years ago for $4000,-
    It broke down last week and it would cost me a whopping $800,- to replace the screen. It is really not worth it. So I went shopping and after getting a loan from a friend, I got an LG 42" HD 3D LED-LCD TV with built in HD tuner for just $770,-
    Oh and LG comes with standard 3 years warranty.
    I know that it will be worth $100,- in 2 years time. So why bother going for another $4000,- TV? Not to mention that that kind of money is not in my budget lol!

Sure, if you can afford it, go for it. Yet I doubt that the majority of Aussie families can afford $600 or more for JUST a 3D Blu Ray player without surround system.
    It just dims the lights for you and tells you something irrelevant about what disk is in there. Imagine your kid watching a Sesame Street DVD and the lights get dimmed. That would be a weird thing to see.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Basically I am asking those who have the Blu ray player with the surround system to "guestimate" the value of just the player without the speakers.
    If it was $800,- chances are the player was around $150-$200

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have the samsung blu ray which came with the stereo , but for our tv it is better to have the sony blu ray which is $180 by itself and then I can use skype and a few other features that our present one wont do with the sony tv.
    I wouldnt spend $600 on a dvd player but if it was the latest thing then some of our friends would have to have it and then we buy it 2 yrs later when its cheap lol
    If someone wanted to go the whole hog they could get an intergrated home lighting system which is linked to one central remote that controls everything,the remote alone is $3000 I think but it sure does look flash of course you can get cheaper systems.
    Last edited by lulu 2; 08-03-2012 at 20:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ours was a Samsung $400

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I got our old blu ray 2xmas ago for like $200. It worked great. We gave it to my mum last Xmas as we got a ps3 which cost us more than the blu ray lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A play station 3 lol

We did have a samsung.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm with you misschief, why buy something that will probably be worth about half of what you paid by the end of the year. DP brought with him when we moved in together his hideously huge $4000 tv and we now see its updated equivalent for less than half what he paid. The digital TV on it doesn't even work properly!!! We have to turn the tv on and off several times for it to kick in, yet my cheap no-name LCD tv which was about $700 or something (this was a while ago so back then it was a bargain) is still going strong!

I just don't see the point in buying the top, they will be outdated soon anyway and things nowadays, unfortunately, aren't built to last so there's no point in wasting your cash.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Misschief  (08-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    we bought a ps3 not long after they came out, think it cost around $600 but it was bought as a games console, the blu ray bit was just a bonus. we actually got another ps3 when we bought our tv so technically our current blu ray player was free (except for the $25 postage!)