View Poll Results: How much did your Blu Ray player cost?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • $0 - $200

3 37.50%
  • $200 - $400

1 12.50%
  • $400 - $600

3 37.50%
  • $600 or more

1 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What Blu Ray player do you have?

Just settling a disagreement.

There is this guy on the internet who says most of his customers who buy an Oppo Blu Ray player ($600-$1900) are families with (small) kids on an average income. They like the extra snazzy bits like dimming the lights for you, showing what disk is in the tray, etc. Opening the tray and looking for yourself, is sooooo 2010
    He claims that there are lots and lots of families that buy expensive players.
    Is this true? Do you have one hat costs more than $600?

Anyway, I wonder how many normal Aussie families with low and middle incomes can actually afford a $600 + Blu Ray player.
    If you CAN afford it, would you buy it because of all these snazzy extra's like automatically dimming your lights and showing you what disk is in the tray (MP3, DVD, Blu Ray, etc)?
    I know that if I could afford one, I still wouldn't get one. I have a 2 year old who's rather destructive Yes you can train your kids, but still. I can dim the lights myself and save the extra $400,- on Christmas pressies or something

So how much did YOUR Blu Ray player cost? If you bought one over $600,- what was your main reason? Luxury? Quality? Because you can? Something else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I bought a Samsung one for DP for xmas, it was about $380. I wouldn't spend more than that because it will be outdated technology shortly anyway, whether you have a $200 or $2000 blu ray player we will all look back in a few years and realise it needs updating so why waste money?!

As for the lights, tray etc... pfff.. since when have those two things ever been an issue?

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We choose the Sony play station over a blu ray player as it play blu rays disc and is a game console ( two birds with one stone) we bought a few years ago now I think it cost around $600 (income below average)

When buying stuff like that I Jut want something that will do the job eg play blu ray none of the other fancy stuff

Thanks
    Reviews
    I paid $88 for a Samsung one from Harvey Norman in the Boxing Day sales.

I could afford to pay $600 but I wouldn't - I don't really need those little extras, I think I could spend that money better, like upgrading my TV.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my experience you get what you pay for, we always buy good quality tvs etc for the home.
    As it turned out we bought a new smart tv and the existing DVD player wasn't compatible with it so we ended up upgrading to a blu ray, it's a toshiba and was just under $500 by memory. We also just bought 4yr old ds a new portable blu ray for his birthday, a toshiba also which cost $349 and its a blu ray. We have always bought him cheap DVD players and they haven't lasted so considering hes at the age where he does look after his things we bought a descent one this time. We first bought him one at 2 yrs old for the car for those long drives and we have bought 3 cheapos in 2 years. We now have an inbuilt one in the new car so this one is for his room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We use a sony play station as its DVD player/ blue ray/ games console. I think they are around $300 now, also they get updates so wen new things come out, you just update them via the Internet. My parents have a $800 Samsung that does everything u described and yes I do love it but couldn't justify spending that as we are at a different stages in life so haw different money and priorities

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have an LG 3D blue-ray player, it cost us $500, the reason it cost so much though is because it is a 3D player, it also has a HD tuner. Our standard blue ray player we had before this one was around $150, but it came free when we brought out home theatre system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We bought a ps3 ages ago when that was the best/cheapest blu ray player available.

We've also got a samsung one that only would have been a couple of hundred dollars.

I wouldn't buy one just because it could dim the lights

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have a panasonic DVD blue ray, it came with our home surround system and that cost $800 for the lot!

Best $800 we ever spent!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jessesgirl View Post
    We have a panasonic DVD blue ray, it came with our home surround system and that cost $800 for the lot!

Best $800 we ever spent!
    We have this ^^
    Ours cost $700 though

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

jessesgirl  (08-03-2012)