+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Red face Confused about ttc and taking temp. Plz educate me. lol

Hi all

This may seem like a very silly question but I have been reading for some time about people taking their temps when ttc.

How does this work? lol I clearly have no idea what the go is.

However after trying for 6months to fall preggy I am busting to learn the tricks of the trade.

With ds and dd I fell so quickly that i didn't have to think about anything other then getting a pregnancy test.

Now i have an ovulation kit and all but no idea baout temps.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump... Anyone on the night traffic please :/ really hoping to get some advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

Google Fertility Friend and have a look at that site. There is tutorials about temping etc should answer all your questions plus you can set up an account on there and download the app onto your phone to keep track of your cycle etc.

Good Luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Subscribing... I would love to know as well! The whole idea of temping and using opks just confuses me!

Sent from my U8510 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    First you need to buy a BBT thermometer (a digital thermometer that goes to 2 decimal places). Sites like Lullaby Conceptions & Oracle Fertility sell them or probably even on eBay.

Then sign up for a Fertility Friend account. You get a free trial of the full version when you first sign up. The tutorials are useful to go through to really understand temping and charting.

You take your temperature at the same time each morning when you wake up BEFORE you even get out of bed. It's really important that you try and do it at the same time each day. There are BBT adjusters online (just google) if you do it at a different time one day.

Record your temps and any other fertility signs (eg cervical mucus) on your Fertility Friend account every day. As well as when you BD.

You need to do it for a few cycles before you see any patterns in your cycles but generally your temp drops around ovulation and then rises through the lutal period and then drops again when AF arrives.

I found temping/charting a useful way to become more in tune with my body and after awhile I began to notice ovulation pains and knew when my CM was different what it meant for my cycle.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Oh it can also be useful to use OPKs in conjunction with charting and temping.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there!!

Ok, so here's the low down:

A BBT (basal body temperature) thermometer can be used to detect subtle changes in your temperature throughout your cycle. Charting BBT is the most accurate way to determine when you have ovulated.

To do this, you need to take your temperature at roughly the same time each morning, as soon as ou wake up. You can't go to the toilet, or talk, or anything first. It has to be the very first thing you do while you're still in bed. You then record the temperature using a tool like Fertility Friend, which is available online and for iPhone for free.

When you have ovulated, you will notice a sustained rise in your temperature over at least 3 consecutive days. This is what they call a 'thermal shift'. This thermal shift confirms ovulation, and you most likely ovulated the day prior to your first recorded higher temperature.

So that's awesome - looking back, you can see that you did in fact ovulate. Unfortunately, that's not really very helpful if you are trying to plan when to BD, as the goods are already gone by the time you see the thermal shift.

Thats where opks and cervical fluid come into it.

Opks are a handy tool for detecting lutenizing hormone in your urine. Lutenizing hormone rises and peaks just before ovulation occurs, which means that once you see a positive on an opk, you are likely to ovulate within 48 hours. Best be getting to that BDing!

Much like a HPT, you simply pee on an opk to test. However, be warned, unlike HPT's, a second line on an opk does not necessarily make it positive. In order for an opk to be positive, the second line must be as dark or darker than the control line.

So now we have an indication of when is the best time to BD in order to catch the egg - awesome, right?

Well, yes, it is helpful, but how do you know when to start peeing on opks?

This is where the cervical fluid comes into it.

Examining cervical fluid is a fairly reliable way to tell where you are up to in your cycle. To do this, wash your hands and then pop a finger or two into your lady parts, then check out what's on them when you pull them out (sexy, huh?)

Right after AF, your CF will be fairly scarce. It will most likely be sticky or tacky. Next, it will become creamy, like hand lotion. Both of these types of CF are hostile to sperm.

Leading up to ovulation, you will most likely notice it will become clear, and will be watery or slippery. This kind of CF is fertile, and you should start BDing as soon as you notice it. This is also when you start peeing on the opks.

Right before 'O', your CF will become more slippery, and almost have the consistency of egg white. This is what you may have seen described here as EWCM. It is super mega fertile CF, and when you see it, you gotta get your sexy on!!

After ovulation has occurred, your CF will go back to the creamy or sticky kind, then dry up again before AF.

So you can see how keeping an eye on all three elements allows you the greatest chance of success! I highly recommend using Fertility Friend - it allows you to track everything I have mentioned her in the one convenient place!

I hope this has shed some light for you! Good luck with your TTC journey!
    Last edited by Shoopuf; 08-03-2012 at 20:14.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

angelini  (08-03-2012),NicT  (03-12-2012),tormyxxx  (08-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    Hi there!!

Ok, so here's the low down:

A BBT (basal body temperature) thermometer can be used to detect subtle changes in your temperature throughout your cycle. Charting BBT is the most accurate way to determine when you have ovulated.

To do this, you need to take your temperature at roughly the same time each morning, as soon as ou wake up. You can't go to the toilet, or talk, or anything first. It has to be the very first thing you do while you're still in bed. You then record the temperature using a tool like Fertility Friend, which is available online and for iPhone for free.

When you have ovulated, you will notice a sustained rise in your temperature over at least 3 consecutive days. This is what they call a 'thermal shift'. This thermal shift confirms ovulation, and you most likely ovulated the day prior to your first recorded higher temperature.

So that's awesome - looking back, you can see that you did in fact ovulate. Unfortunately, that's not really very helpful if you are trying to plan when to BD, as the goods are already gone by the time you see the thermal shift.

Thats where opks and cervical fluid come into it.

Opks are a handy tool for detecting lutenizing hormone in your urine. Lutenizing hormone rises and peaks just before ovulation occurs, which means that once you see a positive on an opk, you are likely to ovulate within 48 hours. Best be getting to that BDing!

Much like a HPT, you simply pee on an opk to test. However, be warned, unlike HPT's, a second line on an opk does not necessarily make it positive. In order for an opk to be positive, the second line must be as dark or darker than the control line.

So now we have an indication of when is the best time to BD in order to catch the egg - awesome, right?

Well, yes, it is helpful, but how do you know when to start peeing on opks?

This is where the cervical fluid comes into it.

Examining cervical fluid is a fairly reliable way to tell where you are up to in your cycle. To do this, wash your hands and then pop a finger or two into your lady parts, then check out what's on them when you pull them out (sexy, huh?)

Right after AF, your CF will be fairly scarce. It will most likely be sticky or tacky. Next, it will become creamy, like hand lotion. Both of these types of CF are hostile to sperm.

Leading up to ovulation, you will most likely notice it will become clear, and will be watery or slippery. This kind of CF is fertile, and you should start BDing as soon as you notice it. This is also when you start peeing on the opks.

Right before 'O', your CF will become more slippery, and almost have the consistency of egg white. This is what you may have seen described here as EWCM. It is super mega fertile CF, and when you see it, you gotta get your sexy on!!

After ovulation has occurred, your CF will go back to the creamy or sticky kind, then dry up again before AF.

So you can see how keeping an eye on all three elements allows you the greatest chance of success! I highly recommend using Fertility Friend - it allows you to track everything I have mentioned her in the one convenient place!

I hope this has shed some light for you! Good luck with your TTC journey!
    Without a doubt, the best 'how-to' I have ever read!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for asking the question and for all that info! I didn't know how any of it worked either and this has been great!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by angelini View Post
    Without a doubt, the best 'how-to' I have ever read!
    I agree Thanks so much ladies you have been an awesome help

Oh and thanks 1crazymoose for asking a question I have been wanting to ask for a while!
    Last edited by Purple Lily; 08-03-2012 at 20:51.