+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is this 5mo sleep regression, how long will it last?

Hi everyone,

I looking for any thoughts on how long this might last and if there is anything I can do?

My DS has consistently woken once per night for a feed for the last 2 months. This was around 3am and was starting to get later. The latest was a 5am :-) BUT He is now 5.5 months and for the last few weeks he has been waking earlier and earlier each night. Last night it was 11.45!!! Because he is waking earlier, he is now waking a second time around 4am :-( The first time he is hungry, the second not hungry but wide awake and difficult to get back to sleep. He seems to think it is morning.

We have a good bedtime routine: 5pm breast feed, 6pm bath, 6.45 bottle feed and then bed around 7/7.30. He will usually self settle, but sometimes needs a little help to fall asleep.

When he wakes I have tried to resettle with cuddles, dummy etc but he gets very upset if not fed. I don't think he is too cold/hot.

We also have a good daytime routine, I'm not too strict on clock watching, but follow the same pattern each day. Usually have 3 sleeps per day and 2 solids at breakfast and lunch. He is very active and has just started getting up on his hands and knees ready to start crawling. We moved from wrap to sleeping bag recently too, but after a few tricky days his sleep went back to the same as when he was wrapped so I don't think this is it either.

I think this is probably normal as I have read some other posts about 5mo's and suddenly changes in sleep patterns. I just wondered how long people think this might last and if there is anything I am missing???

I am wondering if I should start to be tighter on our routine for a few weeks to see if that helps? I was also considering stopping breast feeding and moving to bottle so I know that he is getting what he needs during the day.
    I was also told to give him water rather than a feed at night to discourage the night wakings???

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to get everything down. I'm actually feeling better about it already :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd say twice a night isn't so bad and feed him. Maybe he is going through a growth spurt? If it lasts more than a week then maybe try doing something about it.

My 4 month old is definitely going through sleep regression. He usually has one 3 hour stretch and then wakes every 1-2 hours until 6am. He was like your baby, slept really well, only waking once to feed and now we have this! It has been a nightmare hope yours doesn't get that way. Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to personaloven For This Useful Post:

ilovehats  (09-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've just recently been through the EXACT same issues with my DS! I have no advice so to speak, but just some 'light' at the end of the tunnel if that helps!

DS is now 6mths and has pretty much dropped his overnight feed most nights now we still do a dreamfeed at 11pm, but he then usually gets to 7am. This has only just started happening in the last week. His sleeping is much better now too, although still needs a bit of help settling since we've just removed the wrap.

We had about 2 weeks of regression on most things (even rolling, or lack of), but almost overnight it just changed for the better again. I hope this happens for you too

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

ilovehats  (09-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your replies. It is always good to know that you are not alone when staring into the darkness at 3am...

Bubs actually woke 15 minutes earlier again last night and then twice more so every night seems to be getting worse :-(

I realised that as he is awake more during the day he has dropped a feed the last few days, so I am going to make sure that he gets that feed and a bit more solid food today to see if that helps him.

Other than that will just ride it out with fingers crossed.

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    maybe your bub is ready for 2 sleeps a day? or 2 longish ones and 1 short one?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

ilovehats  (12-03-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my dd did this at 7 months, and it lasted a month.
    but every childs different.
    it started when we introduced solids.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

ilovehats  (12-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Mummy View Post
    maybe your bub is ready for 2 sleeps a day? or 2 longish ones and 1 short one?
    Hi, yes I think we are now transitioning to 2 sleeps rather than 3. The 3rd one is usually only short and if he sleeps longer in the morning or afternoon then we don't have time to fit it in now. Thanks for replying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone. Just though I would let you know that last night he slept much better and only woke once at 1.30am and then slept till 7.30 :-)
    I went to my Early Childhood Centre and they suggested he was still hungry and to increase his solids and start on protein, so that is what I did!
    Hurray!!! Hope that is the answer and it now lasts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad I'm not the only one, my 5 months old has been a terrible sleeper over the last two weeks. Catnapping during the day, or not sleeping at all and waking more overnight, 10.30, 2.00 and wanting to start the day at 5.30! Buggered to say the least. BUT today a perfect angel back to the same sleep patterns, fingers crossed it's hear to stay, I was starting to lose it!