+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 14 mo not saying any words??

DS is 14 months and still not saying any words (aside from mum and dad). He makes lots of noises and babbles, just no proper words. He also seems to understand plenty of what I say, and simple instructions, like sit down please etc. Should I be worried he's not talking yet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No, I wouldn't be worried, he is at least saying a couple of clear words and understands you and simple instructions etc. If he were 2 and still babbling with not many words, then I would start to worry, but at 14 months he's not long been a baby. If you're really concerned, you could always get his ears checked, but honestly, I would relax for now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    mt DS is 14 months and does the same. He babbles constantly and only says mum and dad

He has full on conversations in babble so he knows what hes saying. Its perfectly normal. If by 2 hes not saying a few clear words, id maybe get his ears etc checked.
    having said all that, my DH didnt speak until he was 3 and it was 'can you please pass the sauce' . His mum had all the tests done and there was nothing wrong at all! IMO, its like everything else, kids will do it when they are ready! Enjoy the silence...trust me by the time they're 3 you'll LONG for the days they didnt speak

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you ladies, you've put my mind at ease! I've just been reading about 9 month old's saying a few words and 18 month olds talking in sentances, was getting a bit worried DS was behind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in the same boat. Won't "talk" but understands instructions.

His Speechie said language is a two way street so if he understands what we say, he can talk & will talk he's just absorbing info at the moment.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by decemberbubba View Post
    Thank you ladies, you've put my mind at ease! I've just been reading about 9 month old's saying a few words and 18 month olds talking in sentances, was getting a bit worried DS was behind.
    I had this too. By 14mths my other DS was talking clear as day in sentences. They are truly all different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    My son said no more than a dozen words until just before his second birthday. I was worried given our first was speaking really early on. But then he just had this burst where one day he just started talking.

I wouldn't worry too much yet. If you feel something is wrong I would get an appointment for a referral.

sniper wolf is offline current proud SaHM to 2 humans of varying ages
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my little girl did not say her firts word until 2 years, 3 months. not one til then. she's just stated kindy and is one of the younger ones in the year and doing very very well. she just exploded with words once she got going and by 3 had caught up with her best friend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    My ds was 20 mths and could only say mum, dad, toot and Bugger me I can't remember what the other word was now. Anyhow I had a older child with speech problems so I got him assessed. He was slightly delayed (6mths) but they suggested he would catch up in his own time. Well he has almost caught up now with no extra help. So give them time and at 2 if your still worried ask for a referral.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 16 mth old sounds very similar to your 14 mth old. Can say Mama, Dada & Nanna and randomly will say things - like the other day she clearly said Good Girl, but hasnt since.

She babbles so much in her own language its gorgeous.

And she can understand so much of what I say. She can follow my instructins, like 'go get your thongs' etc.

I notice other kids at Playgroup are saying more words than her but Im not worried at all because I can see she is doing the right babbe and can understand things.