+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy GERD baby jerking.... Sandifers syndrome or infantile spasms?????

My precious DD is 5.5 months, she had what I thought was a seizure a month ago. PMH checked her over but was not able to diagnose anything without seeing it happen for themselves. They said it could be infantile spasms?

She is under the care of a paed for Gerd and takes 20mg of losec daily. She also has a milk protein allergy so is on pepti-junior gold.

She has been having episodes of jerking, where she repeats the same jerky action up to a dozen times. I've noticed it mostly when she is tired and her reflux is playing up; and about 45 minutes after a feed. It used to be quite infrequent, but is increasing in frequency and is much more obvious than it used to be.

There have been no more seizures but I am worried. Has anyone experienced anything like this? My paed told me its myoclonic jerks which are normal, but has ordered an EEG to rule out anything more sinister. Could this be infantile spasms or sandifers syndrome????? Suppose I should add her back archimg is worse too, poor darling

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Reflux and seizures

Did you get anywhere with finding out the cause? My 12 week old baby has been having jerky head movements and despite a zillion tests the hospital doesn't know the cause. Her reflux seems to be getting worse though and I wonder if there's a connection...?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Mel,

DD had the EEG and the results were inconclusive so my paed tolde not to worry. My theory is that the jerking was a response to the reflux pain. Everytime we had a refluxy day/night it happened. I positive that this is sandifers syndrome, but I didn't meet a single doctor that knew about it, or if they did they never mentioned it. It is absolutely terrifying to see this happen to your child and feel helples. No one knows your baby better than you. Trust your instincts, if you aren't getting answers & don't feel secure then seek another opinion. Look outside the box too. After my DD EEG I knew that even though what was happening may not be life threatening it was still worrying me. As a last ditch attempt to help my baby with her reflux I took her to see a paediatric chiropractor. I've never seen a chiro myself, I'm a physio person so this was not easy for me but I did it. It was the best thing I have ever done fort darling baby. Literally the next day she was happier and after one treatment a week over several weeks, her reflux is gone. Finally i have a 'normal' & happy baby! I had tried to reduce her losec only a fortnight earlier and had a bad rebound effect so considering she is now off the losec completely, I know it was not a coincidence. I always thought of chiro's as money grabbing witch doctors, but now I'd happily eat my words. Incase no one has told you, the reflux peaks at 4-5 months, so hang in there. Hope your poor darling bub is alright and you get the answers you're after.