+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Government vaccination policies

Hi Everyone,

I'm an Australian medical student and am doing an assignment for the public health subject. I've chosen to cover vaccination policy and it'd be really helpful to get some of your views & attitudes. I'm especially interested in the pressure to vaccinate, such as the government's policy of requiring full vaccination to get the family tax benefit part A, unless there's an "approved exemption". Has anyone experienced having to get the exemption or not getting the full tax benefit? What impact has this had for you?

Thanks & Regards,
    Eugene

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Do you mean a conscientious objection? It's not too hard. You just download the form and take it to a GP for sign off. Telling the GP is probably the hardest bit in case they give you a hard time. I haven't done it yet but will be as I will be delaying the vacs for my bub. I have done my research though so am more than happy to discuss with the GP. Ultimately it's not their decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I got conscientious objection forms signed last night for my 2 kids. i wasn't looking forward to it because i have heard stories of parents being given a rough time but thankfully i got a nice mchn who was quite helpful.

it is hard to get info on what payments you will not be eligible for, if you do not get a CO form or full vaccination. this was a factor in my getting the CO form completed. i was not concerned about not getting the immunisation allowance but was not sure if other payments could be cut off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The government only requires an update of immunisation status. So you can either get a CO form, get the vaccinations, or get a letter from your doctor to say the child is delayed with some or all of them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My understanding is the government appreciates the right of choice (hence the CO option) but they are trying to make sure that people are not 'forgetting' or 'not really bothering'. Eg. If you want to delay/not vacc, they want to know that it is a concious decision. I have friends who are CO and once you've got the form in it seems to be no hassle for them.

I expect googling you will see there are a lot of very vocal anti-vax opinions around. You asked for opinions and this is my 2cents. I make the concious decision TO vaccinate but generally I keep my mouth shut about it because a) I don't give my opinions unless asked and b) I don't like conflict.

So I would probably be considered a 'sheep' who is just doing what the government says - but my decision is just as concious and researched as most CO's.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Okebro  (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We filled out the conscientious objection form and it was really no issue. What did bug me were the government ads informing parents they would miss out on the payment if their children were not fully vaccinated. There was no mention of exemptions, and I find that really misleading.