+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Maxi Cosi Complete Air Vs Safe n Sound Maxi Rider

Anyone got thoughts on these carseats? I'm looking to buy one or the other shortly in preparation for my four month old growing out of her capsule. She is quite tall and slim - I actually think she'll be too long for her current seat well before she reaches 9 kgs.

I have a ford territory so have quite a bit of space in the back, although I do think I will end up with three carseats in the back as we want to have them all close together.

Any opinions/suggestions for or against anyone has will be much appreciated.

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I put my 2.5 year old in the safe and sound maxi rider and I wouldnt personally put a child under 2 in it.

The seat is wide, to accommodate a toddler more and there is no comfortable way for them to rest their heads - when my DD naps in the car, she often jerks forward with the movement or often leans / doubles over herself to the point I have to stop and lift her back up. You wouldn't want a younger child (despite being heavier) to move in such a way with such immature necks - they just are not ready.

I don't think it's even close to supportive to say a S & S Meridian which I had her in - and would've continued to do so but I had another baby.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BabushkaMumma For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (07-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My 2 year old is in a maxi rider and I love it but I wouldn't put any baby under 2 in it.

Before that I had a Meridian, I'd go that DD was in hers till 17 months.
    Last edited by waterlily; 07-03-2012 at 21:05.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

kezanazz  (07-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by careermum View Post
    Anyone got thoughts on these carseats? I'm looking to buy one or the other shortly in preparation for my four month old growing out of her capsule. She is quite tall and slim - I actually think she'll be too long for her current seat well before she reaches 9 kgs.

I have a ford territory so have quite a bit of space in the back, although I do think I will end up with three carseats in the back as we want to have them all close together.

Any opinions/suggestions for or against anyone has will be much appreciated.
    i would suggest calling the rta as far as i understand a baby must be rear faced for a minimum of 6 months regardless of weight etc

heaps of people have said the new seat markers rf for height are heaps small and younge bubs are reaching the max rf heights before 6 months

Sent from my T3020 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd go for a sns meridian or platinum. I have the platinum and DS is still rear facing (just) at 11 months. He's tall for his age and skinny. I wouldn't put him in a maxi rider yet unless I had another bub who needed the platinum.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    id get a regular baby seat not a convertable booster at that age.

my DD2 is 16mths and is in a sns royale.
    DD1 has a maxi rider and it is much more upright and rigid and not a contoured as the royale.

eventually DD2 will go into a maxi-rider but not till after 2yrs old.

plus if you plan on having your kids close in age you'll get plenty of use out of the seats anyway

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have the maxi riders in my DH car and the maxi cosi in my car... I prefer the maxi cosi as its narrower(I have 2maxi n a capsule across the middle row) plus it seems smaller then the safe n sounds.. My 2 year old is only just 10kg n fits in it perfectly so ur bub should be fine.. Once bub grows out of her capsule she will go into one of them also!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would not forward face a child that young. If I were you I would buy a convertible seat and rear face her until she out grows the rear facing position by height or weight (whichever first). I have one of the smallest convertible seats (sns compaq) and I was able to rear face my very tall DS (97th percentile) until one year. Rear facing is 5 x safer for kids under 4. As another poster said min age is 6 months to ff as well and even that is too young IMO. You can graduate her up to one of the seats you mentioned when new bubs comes and they could use the convertible when they grow out of the capsule so it shouldn't be a waste of money HTH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the replies, just to clarify I have no intention of moving her out of her capsule until I absolutely have to. My comment was simply that she is getting so long and she is not quite 6 kgs. The straps are already adjusted to the highest they can go and they already come over her shoulders from behind her from about the bottom of her shoulder blades if that makes sense?

So good to hear the comments about the bubs being too little for the bigger seats, I hadn't really considered that and the people at the shops who told me the features all said it was fine, but I would rather she be a little more snug I guess and secure around her neck. Are there any car seats out there that go FROM 6 months to 4 years? Or are my options just either newborn to 4 years, or 6 months to 7 years? I guess now I would lean towards the safe n sound compaq as I don't really want to spend as much as the Meridian or Platinum given I already purchased the capsule for her newborn phase. Having said that, safety is very important to me, does anyone know the safety rating for the compaq or where I can find them? Failing that, does anyone else have a high recommendation for another car seat I haven't considered?

So great to have such a wealth of knowledge on here!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have a look at CREP.com.au. However most seats have been superseded with the new 2010 standards. HAve you noticed the new seats have much bigger head wings?

I am not sure when the new results will be out but hopefully soon.

I have an old style meridian AHR - it no longer rates well but DS at almost 4 still fits and is so comfy in it. He also has a infa secure roamer plus and is nowhere near as comfy - so upright and no head support.

MAxi cosi complete air goes from 6months - 4years. It doesn't have a recline though so not sure how it works.

I have seen an infa (infa something 2010?) car seat that RF from birth then can turn and be used until 7? It has all 3 phases of seat in it. I have never seen one IRL and don't know much about them. I do know similiar are available in the US.

I would get the meridian T &A as it can be used until 12kg rear facing. You could always sell your capsule.