+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by *Chels* View Post
    Well I feel kinda bad now... most fruit goes in plastic containers.
    Thing is that I bake alot and freeze down in individual portions with gladwrap so its quick and easy to grab out of freezer in mornings.
    Whats your suggestion on dealing with that?
    I often freeze baked goodies. I use the resealable snack/sandwich bags and then wash them lol. I swear its being green not tight!! Hahaha. But I use those things for afternoon tea after school, I don't tend to put baked stuff in their lunchboxes as I mostly do sweet baking!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD (nearly 4) has this one http://www.yumyumkids.co.nz/site/yum...-Box_small.gif

Today it had frozen peas in one container and homous in the other. Carrot and cucumber sticks (for the homous) in one compartment, and black grapes in the other. A tomato, cheese, avo sandwich in the upper middle compartment and a muesili slice under that. She also takes a banana. DD is a big eater and this gets her through the day.

Her kindy encourages a litter free lunch too, so I never send any thing with wrappers etc, I have even taken muesili bars out of wrappers to put in the lunchbox lol but that's also so that its no trouble for her to open as they should be able to open and eat their lunch independently. But I've noticed most parents still send packaged yoghurts etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Laksa View Post
    DS2 is only 3, he goes to 3yo kindy twice a week and stays for lunch (they have shared morning tea). He has a 'Nude Food Mini Rubbish Free' lunchbox with a 'Cool Skin' bag.
    http://www.nudefoodmovers.com.au/Range/
    i absolutely love these! just wasnt sure if it would hold enough for my kidlets.. i'll have to have a look when we visit next weekend

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I almost bought one of those nude food lunch boxes BUT the only thing I really dont like about it is that once its out of the insulator 'skin' the whole thing is completely exposed and not being cooled. With DS in school, his stuff needs to stay cool at least until lunch and if he took out his lunchbox at recess, Id be worried all the coolness would go....if that makes sense.
    I went with the larger zip up lunch box with separate containers so he can take out the container and zip the lunch box closed, keeping everything else cold.

Just something for future lunch box buyers to consider

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found the nude food movers skin too difficult for mine to get it in and out.

Also, the lid of one of the compartments came off DS's quite early one.

Totally buying a couple of Go Green lunchboxes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 has a nude food policy at kinder, however we are allowed to use aluminium foil as it can be re used (i wouldn't!). I got him a Sistema lunchbox with a big bit at the bottom for sandwiches and a banana, and 3 separate compartments up the top for snacks. He's also got a Smash cooler lunchbag that we use if we can't fit his food all in his lunchbox.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I almost bought one of those nude food lunch boxes BUT the only thing I really dont like about it is that once its out of the insulator 'skin' the whole thing is completely exposed and not being cooled. With DS in school, his stuff needs to stay cool at least until lunch and if he took out his lunchbox at recess, Id be worried all the coolness would go....if that makes sense.
    I went with the larger zip up lunch box with separate containers so he can take out the container and zip the lunch box closed, keeping everything else cold.

Just something for future lunch box buyers to consider
    We haven't used it since she was in Prep when they had a fridge, and even in Prep I had to put another sandwich box in for a fruit salad. She had a sandwich in the middle part, a yoghurt in one of the little containers, some vege sticks in the other container, and something we'd baked in the other end which left no room for fruit.

Does anyone know of any containers similar to the 2 screw top ones in that lunchbox? I'm so worried she will lose one lol. They have her name on them on the labels, but they don't leak, and all the rest seem to leak.

Oh, the other ones we have are the Decor containers with the 4 dividers in them. I have 2 and they fit one on top of the other in her Smash lunch box. Bit tricky for school, but great for travelling. Gives us 8 compartments. Last time we went away I put zucchini slice, mango slices, some anti pasto and a few rice crackers in one, which was lunch, and the other one had biscuits, spinach mini muffins, dried apricot and cashews, and I forget what else lol, but that was an afternoon snack. We were driving 8 hours west, nothing gluten free or vegetarian lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I have a rewashable cling-wrap thingo for DS, I've forgotten what it's called but it's just a piece of fabric with a plastic lining and velcro that you can use to wrap sandwiches and wash at the end of the day.

He's also got a large lunchbox which has 3 containers inside which I can just fill up with fresh fruit, veg and our homemade muesli bars etc.

His school doesn't have any policies regarding plastic, only nuts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by *Chels* View Post
    Well I feel kinda bad now... most fruit goes in plastic containers.
    Thing is that I bake alot and freeze down in individual portions with gladwrap so its quick and easy to grab out of freezer in mornings.
    Whats your suggestion on dealing with that?
    I cut up slices and freeze in old icecream containers, muffins & biscuits I freeze in a plastic supermarket bag. In the mornings I can just grab out what I need and put into a plastic container. Probably much quicker than wrapping individually when you freeze them down the first time.

I prefer the nude food snack containers (clear with 4 coloured rubber bits on the top and bottom), they seal well. The klippo's one's are a bit too flimsy and they don't seal around the edges.

Sandwiches or wraps also go in the nude food sandwich box. Yoghurt goes in a nude food tube with screw lid.

Sometimes I do use a plastic zip lock sandwich bag but DD's know to keep them - I rinse and reuse them.

I found that fitting all the containers in the standard sized lunch boxes available in kmart etc was too much of a juggling act and DD's were never able to get the empty containers back in. I found some bigger insulated lunch cooler bags in Spotlight, they come in red, blue and green with a zip lid and are the same width but about twice as tall as the standard insulated lunch boxes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post

Does anyone know of any containers similar to the 2 screw top ones in that lunchbox? I'm so worried she will lose one lol. They have her name on them on the labels, but they don't leak, and all the rest seem to leak.
    I like the nude food tubes, they come in packs of 3. The tubes themselves can screw together so you could have dip in the bottom and vege sticks in the top one and only need to use one lid. Although I mostly use them for yoghurt. the lids screw on & off easily for little hands and they don't leak.