+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Milk drink/formula for 4 year old??

My 4 year old has a very poor appetite and is a poor eater. He is a bit hyperactive and jittery also and has recently had a bad infection and his asthma which is usually well controlled became an issue. He has lost weight (he is now 15 kg again ) the gp says to make sure he eats well and more often but its not that simple and I'm considering putting him on a supplement drink. Does anyone have any suggestions? It doesn't matter how sick he is, he never stops running and burning calories sigh. The increased amount of ventolin also has him bouncing off the walls worse. I was looking at pediasure online. Do you need a script for it or anything?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bump?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What about sustagen (sp) or fruit smoothies made with ice-cream and full fat milk?? I would be giving vitamins and supplements and feeding often with milk and carb loaded foods.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He doesn't like smoothies unless they are completely smooth but yes I might try that with some yoghurt too. Ill also look at sustagen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Your not getting much help are you
    Sorry I'm not more helpful, I don't have sick kids just really tiny for their ages. I just make sure they don't get any 'empty' calories. When we are in a hurry up and go by sanitarium are quite handy to have. Also foods like pikelets and small quiches to eat on the go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol yes I know I can only assume not many people have experience? My gp wasn't exactly freaking out about it but he has lost a few kilos and I want to get on it now as he is so small already

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you ever tried Ensure from the chemist? It's in where the Sustagen is. My dd was on it for a while. She turns 9 this year and only 19kg so I know what it's like. Also you can add Sustagen to pikelets and biscuits and other snacks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to use ensure with a disabled child I cared for and I *think* pediasure is in the same family.. I will ask the chemist but I didn't today as all the medication knocked me back 80 bucks!! So I thought I better do my research before I spend any more money

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep pediasure (sp?) is similar, too. It is expensive. I found out dd has coeliac disease so changed her diet and stopped anything like that because I had to take her off milk as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Sustgen is the best one unless you can get a script for something with a higher calorie content.

Just be weary of milk products as they can cause asthma flare ups.