+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When to tell the Boss I’s UTD??

Last time I got UTD, I was made redundant on the week I asked to return from maternity leave – nice eh? So I have a nice new job – been there for about 18 months & am 4 weeks pregnant. They (Bosses) have big plans for the upcoming year – expanding – hiring me assistants etc & I feel like every time they come in to speak with me about this, I am lying to them as I am going to be taking about 6 months off work…. However my boss is very very nice – but that’s what I thought last time too, so when do I tell them?

inkognito is offline Moving on is simple, its what you leave behind which makes it hard
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's really up to you and when you feel comfortable telling them, for alot of people that is about 12 weeks...
    Is there any reason that you will not be able to continue in your role whilst you are pregnant or once your return from maternity leave?
    I was in a similar situation when I fell PG with DS, there was talk of a promotion and a lot of changes for me in the company when I found out, I chose to tell my boss At about 5 weeks and declined the promotion based soley on the fact that I would not be able to do what was required of me whilst pregnant (more physical work and longer hours) and they were ok with that and offered to hold the promotion until I returned from maternity leave but in the end I fell PG again and just returned part time until I went on leave again

But if I had been able to do the job they were asking of me I would have waited until I was 12 weeks
    Last edited by inkognito; 07-03-2012 at 11:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Common practice is to wait until after the 12 week scan

Sorry to hear about your redundancy. It does suck but being on parental leave or being pregnant doesn't mean you can't lose your job, as long as its not actually directly because you are on pregnant/on leave, if you know what I mean.

If you experience anything like this again and feel its only because you are pregnant and not for a genuine business reason then you should definitely keep notes of everything that is discussed in case you want to file a claim with Fair Work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks - I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience and how they handled it I guess!
    You are most likely right....Hopefully I can hide it for the next 8 weeks! I guess being made redundant last time has left a really bad taste in my mouth, I was easy pickings because I was on Maternity leave if that makes sense!! But apparently – because they did not replace me ‘straight away’ they could call it redundancy & I did not have a stand against it!
    This bub was well & truly planned. I actually really like this job I have now & want to keep it. I will work as long as I can – hopefully week or 2 before bub is due as Its an Office job and being pregnant should not affect my work in any way. And I would be able to actually work from home as well once on leave – given the opportunity – but you are probably aware this is easier said than done sometimes & I am not sure what they would say about it!