+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is this weird???

My DF and I have a few tattoos. DF is a great drawer and has recently been thinking about getting into tattooing. It's nice to see him passionate about something since he's been pretty down lately since being injured at work and been on work cover.

Now, all of a sudden, mil at 57 has decided she wants a tattoo. She wants DF to tattoo his name on her wrist. Not sure exactly why, but I feel really strange about this (I haven't had the best relationship with mil)

What do others think??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's no different to any other mum getting a tattoo of their children's name.
    I don't find it weird.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (07-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So she's getting a tattoo of her sons name, that's lovely. I plan on getting my kids names done when I have had this baby.

Is it her age you find weird? My mum isn't that much younger than your MIL and got her first tat last year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My mum got a tattoo only a few years ago with all of our names incorporated, she's turning 50 this year.
    I think it's quite nice and I plan on getting one with my children's names too. I don't find it weird at all, maybe it just bothers you because there is an issue with your MIL?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    I don't find it weird.
    This

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it that your DF would be doing the tatooing that weirds you out? I'm not a fan of tatts myself, but if he and his mum are happy to do it then I don't see a problem.

If it bothers you, try not to think about it too much, its not worth stressing about.

I have issues with my MIL too and admit its got to the stage where everything she does bugs me. Not healthy and I'm trying to just let it all go. I'd just put it into the 'shrug it off' category. Her body, her choice and all that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    I don't find it weird.
    I know I should see it from this point of view (I have my ds1's name tattooed on me and will for ds2 as well) I guess it's just my issues with her that alter my perception.

DF is 'adopted' and I use that term loosely as he came into her care through illegal channels, was never legally adopted (which has caused all sorts of drama for us with births, deaths & marriages, centrelink etc) and his birth mother tried to get him back to no avail and now as an adult, he wants nothing to do with her. He's been brought up knowing one truth and doesn't want to change what he 'knows'. Mil has always treated him as a 'possession' and I guess to me this tattoo just seems like a branding of sorts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What do you mean by 'illegal channels'??

Forget the tattoo, that's the bit that would weird me out.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Luna Lovegood  (07-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    What do you mean by 'illegal channels'??

Forget the tattoo, that's the bit that would weird me out.
    This..... I don't think the tattoo idea is strange but I would be concerned about the way he came to be in her care

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumof1expecting2 View Post
    I know I should see it from this point of view (I have my ds1's name tattooed on me and will for ds2 as well) I guess it's just my issues with her that alter my perception.

DF is 'adopted' and I use that term loosely as he came into her care through illegal channels, was never legally adopted (which has caused all sorts of drama for us with births, deaths & marriages, centrelink etc) and his birth mother tried to get him back to no avail and now as an adult, he wants nothing to do with her. He's been brought up knowing one truth and doesn't want to change what he 'knows'. Mil has always treated him as a 'possession' and I guess to me this tattoo just seems like a branding of sorts.
    If your DH didnt see her as his 'mum' and they didnt have that kind of relationship then I would think its a little weird, but as he does (and I can only guess treats her like a Mum) then nope, I dont think its weird.

Regardless of the situation and how it came about, she is still the one he looks at as his mum. My friends DH has all 'his' kids name on his back, only 3 of the 4 kids are biologically his but he is still that kids "Dad' and friends DS will more than likely ( i dont know what 'could' happen!) be like that.