+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Mastitis help

DD is 9 days old & I have mastitis. On Sunday I had fever, temp of 39, BP was through the roof & had severe headache. Woke up yesterday morning with hot red patches on my left breast. GP confirmed mastitis & prescribed antibiotics. He also prescribed tablets to dry my milk up (for personal reasons I decided to stop BF). I haven't taken them yet as the thought of the side effects of them turns me off (have to be on them 14 days). Nausea, fogginess, dizzy spells etc. I'm already dealing with a painful CS recovery & don't think I could deal with that too. So my question is, if picked up & treated early with AB, is the mastitis likely to get better even without tablets to help dry up my milk? From memory my milk only took a couple of days to dry up after DS, so I hoping the same this time.
    Hope I have posted this in the correct section.
    TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had mastitis twice!! The second time was enough for me so I decided to stop BF. But just stopping BF and taking anitbiotics didn't dry my milk up, if anything it got worse. So I had to express small amounts to help my body slow production. A little expressing in the shower and only if I felt really full I'd get the breast pump out and express to feel comfortable. I didn't need medication to dry me up, and I'm pretty sure there's a few people out there will suggestions on how to help dry you up without medication; cabbage leaves are 1 I've heard of, although I've never tried this myself.

I really feel for you, and hope you can get some relief soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    it should, i had fever, cold n flu etc and it took 2 days on antibiotics feel heaps better

Sent from my T3020 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, you've made me feel much better & have confirmed my decision to not take the tablets.
    Hopefully the ABs kick in & it clears soon.

I have cabbage leaves in my bra too, gee they stink though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Drying the milk up will not get rid of the infection you already have, sadly. This will get better without the milk drying up tablets.
    Sorry, my post probably came out wrong. I meant not taking the milk drying tablets. I still took antibiotics, also was having voltarin to keep inflammation down too. But yeah, meant she shouldn't need extra tablets to dry milk up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep another here who has had mastitis bad.

Options:
    -Use something that vibrates on the breast to help separate infection.
    -Have a warm to hot shower and massage from chest to nipple.
    - cabbage leaves
    -alternate with cold and hot packs (cold will slow down supply and hot will increase flow)

To dry up your milk naturally and quickly use 1tablespoon apple cigar vinegar and 1 tablespoon honey and drink minimum 3 times a day. (I was full time feeding and did this and it dried up in 3 days completely) an old midwife told me to do it because of my mastitis problems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That sounds awful. It's probably a good idea to call the aba about weaning. While you have mastitis is not the time to do it as you MUST keep your breast well drained while the infection clears, otherwise it can get much worse eg abscess. Once the infection if cleared, you basically cut out one feed every 3-4 days and only express for comfort. The tablets to dry up milk have awful side effects, and sometimes a few weeks later your milk returns. It is more gentle on your body and hormone levels to do it gradually and naturally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used the tablet took it at night felt a bit dizzy but no where near as bad as i felt when i had mastitis. Dried my milk up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I weaned at 6 weeks when I had mastitis, I didn't need to take the milk drying tablets (just antibiotics). I found great relief when I went to a physio who did ultrasound on my breasts (it clears up the blockage apparently). I think I had low milk supply, and I found weaning very easy. I think it took a few weeks for milk to stop leaking after I had a shower but I was never full and uncomfortable.