+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I do not see how it is rude, it isn't like you are going to eat/drink and then put it back on the shelf (if you do then it is shop lifting).

I do not do it for me but if DS is hungry/tired/playing up then yes I will happily open up something as we are going to be paying for it.

I would not do it for loose fresh produce as this would be stealing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do it every single time.

I once got accused of stealing , as I took snacks in to keep Beryl happy.

so now i just get a squeezy pack or a muesli bar and give it to her.

I have always had smiles from the staff and always offer to scan the squeezy pack myself.

They cannot accuse you of stealing, untill after you have been through the checkout.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yup, I do it all the time! No matter how many different snacks I take for dd she always wants one of the heinz simply fruit pouches. I'd rather a quiet happy shop than a stressful one! I always give it to the check out person first and then back to dd after it has been scanned! I dont think it is rude. But I havent done it with a drink/snack for myself only to keep dd quiet
    Last edited by PrincessC; 06-03-2012 at 18:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep. It's the only way I can keep DS relatively happy in the trolley. I always get him a drink or squeezy yoghurt to have. Also keeps him from damaging stuff on shelves because he's always trying to grab things. I do have one lady at local supermarket who makes snide remarks about whether I've paid for DSs drink/ whatever. I have never shoplifted in my life and ended up making a formal complaint after this lady made accusations that were not true and proved to be that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Always. It's ds's treat to get a choc milkshake everytime we go shopping. He usually has finished it by check out time but he knows the drill he puts it up on the counter and the lady throws it in her bin.

I see no harm aslong as your honest and do pay for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 1CrazyMoose View Post
    Always. It's ds's treat to get a choc milkshake everytime we go shopping. He usually has finished it by check out time but he knows the drill he puts it up on the counter and the lady throws it in her bin.

I see no harm aslong as your honest and do pay for it.
    Same here, DS gets a choccy milk every week we go shopping.
    He drinks the lot all the way around the shops and we just put it with the groceries to get scanned at the end.
    The cashiers don't seem to care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My mum used to open a loaf of bread and give my sister and I a slice (no yummy biscuits for us) and said she never dealt with supermarket tantrums. I think she was just blessed with two awesome kids.

I've done it before with DS to stop him screaming and trying to climb out of the trolley. No big deal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut2011 View Post
    I did real life grocery shopping today (get it delivered 95% of the time) and went prepared with a bottle, water and snack to keep DS happy.

While I was in the biscuit isle, i went past what looked like 2 kids in a trolley, their mum and their grandmother. The grandmother picks some packs of biscuits off the shelves, opens one of the packets and gives each of the girls a cookie saying something like "this should keep you happy/quiet".

Personally I think it's quite rude to do that - open something before you've paid for it, even if you intend on paying. Am I alone?!

...guess im one of those rude ones then! but when i think about it, seeing as im giving these big shot supermarkets all that money for food for my family, i figure why not shop in comfort? Yes, i take my own water bottles if we r doing the weekly big shop and i have, on occasion given DD a squeezie yoghurt. Because let's face it, ur in a supermarket it's way more convienient to grab something from the shelf than packing snacks and carting them around!
    When i am doing my weekly big shop, i have also on occasion forgotten to eat!....havent we all? being at the point where i need something to keep me going or i'll faint lol, i'll grab a sugary drink so sip while shopping.

If im just picking up a few things and using self serve (as they only allow 12items or less) then no, there is usually no time for 'snacks'.

IMO - If your being honest and bringing the eaten item/s up to the checkout and paying for it/them i have no problemos. Sometimes you just gotta do what you have to do, to get you thru the dreaded grocery shop (esp with multiple kiddies!)

It's the rank ferals out there who shove the already eaten wrappers/cans/bottles bak into the shelves. To me that is SHOPLIFTING and those people have very disturbed morals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I find it wrong as well OP.

Whenever I have decided DD needs to eat something while we shop but didn't have anything on me, I'd go grab a banana or something, go through the express checkout, give it to her, and then go back in and start shopping. If she nagged mid-shop, I'd tell her she had to wait.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (06-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

seriously? first there are threads about us awful parents who "let" out kids scream while we go shopping...now we're somehow doing the wrong thing because we give them food so they *don't* scream?
    omg - i am literally PMSL. can't win, can i?

yes - every single shopping trip i have at least 2 things that have been opened before i get to the check out.
    At least i'm not giving them fruit (unless its from a closed-container that comes with a specific price, rather than per/kg price) - cause that would be theft.

and chances are, despite all that food, i was still the person with a screaming toddler or hyperactive school aged child and next time i go shopping, i'm gonna bloody enjoy myself.

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Gandalf For This Useful Post:

brogeybear  (06-03-2012),DaughteroftheForest  (07-03-2012),greenapppples  (06-03-2012),inertia  (06-03-2012),Ishtyban  (06-03-2012),LoCo  (06-03-2012),lones  (06-03-2012),mummaof4  (07-03-2012),NancyBlackett  (06-03-2012),twotrunks  (07-03-2012),Witwicky  (06-03-2012)