+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Starting Daycare - some questions

DD is 7mo and started daycare this week. I go back to work in 2 weeks so we're easing her into it with some short days this week.

She'll be in daycare Mon, Tues and Thurs from 7am-5pm.

My questions...

She usually sleeps until about 7/7:30am so on daycare days we'll have to get her up at about 6:15. Should we do that on non-daycare days as well? Or just let her sleep on those days?

She's in that "attached to mummy" phase so gets upset when someone else holds her. When I drop her off I've been spending time with her there, but she cries so much! Is there anything I should be doing to help her transition?? It makes me feel sick knowing she's upset. Apparently she settles pretty quickly after I go but it's so hard!

I feel like the worst mummy in the world right now and having palpitations thinking about going back to work.

TIA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son was in daycare for three days per week from 6 months of age.

We never really had a set routine as we just followed his cues so I would suggest that you do the same and let your daughter decide when she wants to get up. If you find that she needs the routine of a set time to wake up then yes I would go with the 6:15am.

My experience of kids and day care is that most will settle quickly when the parent leaves. It may take a little while but children do adapt to new situations and if it is a good day care they will give your daughter the extra attention that she needs to settle in.

I think that it is harder on the parents than the child. It is probably a good idea that you gradually reduce how long you stay at the centre in the morning to where it becomes routine that you give her a quick cuddle, a kiss, a few words and then leave (5 minutes). In no time at all she will be running in and will be wanting to play and will be fairly happy for you to leave - especially as she will know that you will be back after she has had a few hours of fun.

If she doesn't settle after a short while the workers will call you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

Cue  (06-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Of course its hard to have to walk out and leave your crying bub with someone else! But, in all honesty, you'll find that in a few weeks time, she will be quite happy to wave you goodbye once she has settled in. Remember, your all she knows at 7 months of age so you can imagine how hard it must be for her too.

My DD is now 2.5 yrs and she has been in daycare since she was 8 months. At first it was only 1 day however now we have progressed to 2 days. On the mornings she was going, i would wake her up early. The other mornings, i would let her wake up herself. She found her own rhythm. I also found that the day after day care, she needed a bit of a sleep in anyway because of all the activity, etc
    At first DD was in a day care centre but i took her out after a few weeks because the ladies used to tell me to just leave without saying goodbye as it was making her even more upset! I was horrified so took her to family day care instead. Luckily for me, i have found the most amazing and caring family environment. I highly recommend it but you have to really hunt around for a family environment that works in similar ways to yours at home. When DD first went to the house, she was quite upset but at least i was able to say my goodbyes and tell her that i will be back later. After literally a couple of weeks, DD was happy and content. She knew mummy or daddy would come back at the end of the day. We developed a trust together! Now, DD gets excited every Monday and Tuesday because she knows she is going to have an awesome day. Its good for her and its good for me.
    So my point is to you, make sure you always take the time out to say goodbye to your DD and reassure her that you will be back at the end of the day to pick her up and take her home. I always made the effort at the end of the day to talk about what DD did too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jazzybaby For This Useful Post:

Cue  (06-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by louellyn View Post
    My son was in daycare for three days per week from 6 months of age.

We never really had a set routine as we just followed his cues so I would suggest that you do the same and let your daughter decide when she wants to get up. If you find that she needs the routine of a set time to wake up then yes I would go with the 6:15am.

My experience of kids and day care is that most will settle quickly when the parent leaves. It may take a little while but children do adapt to new situations and if it is a good day care they will give your daughter the extra attention that she needs to settle in.

I think that it is harder on the parents than the child. It is probably a good idea that you gradually reduce how long you stay at the centre in the morning to where it becomes routine that you give her a quick cuddle, a kiss, a few words and then leave (5 minutes). In no time at all she will be running in and will be wanting to play and will be fairly happy for you to leave - especially as she will know that you will be back after she has had a few hours of fun.

If she doesn't settle after a short while the workers will call you.
    Yeah the carers are great. The room leader spends time with DD in the morning to help settle her in. They call to let me know how she's going which is reassuring. It's definitely harder on me I think!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzybaby View Post
    Of course its hard to have to walk out and leave your crying bub with someone else! But, in all honesty, you'll find that in a few weeks time, she will be quite happy to wave you goodbye once she has settled in. Remember, your all she knows at 7 months of age so you can imagine how hard it must be for her too.

My DD is now 2.5 yrs and she has been in daycare since she was 8 months. At first it was only 1 day however now we have progressed to 2 days. On the mornings she was going, i would wake her up early. The other mornings, i would let her wake up herself. She found her own rhythm. I also found that the day after day care, she needed a bit of a sleep in anyway because of all the activity, etc
    At first DD was in a day care centre but i took her out after a few weeks because the ladies used to tell me to just leave without saying goodbye as it was making her even more upset! I was horrified so took her to family day care instead. Luckily for me, i have found the most amazing and caring family environment. I highly recommend it but you have to really hunt around for a family environment that works in similar ways to yours at home. When DD first went to the house, she was quite upset but at least i was able to say my goodbyes and tell her that i will be back later. After literally a couple of weeks, DD was happy and content. She knew mummy or daddy would come back at the end of the day. We developed a trust together! Now, DD gets excited every Monday and Tuesday because she knows she is going to have an awesome day. Its good for her and its good for me.
    So my point is to you, make sure you always take the time out to say goodbye to your DD and reassure her that you will be back at the end of the day to pick her up and take her home. I always made the effort at the end of the day to talk about what DD did too.
    Yeah I had been told that saying goodbye is important and the carers encourage it. DD gives me a big smile when I pick her up which is so nice!

I really like the centre, I looked at about 6 or 7 but this one just felt right. It's so bright and fun, plus the staff are really happy and friendly. Every time I've been there they are all on the floor playing or holding the bubs.

I'm sure she'll settle in, I just need to get used to it.