+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What a great thread!

Yes we will def tell our child that he/she was conceived via ivf.. I keep saying in my head when it happens it will be extra special as we have tried so darn hard to get there..

We have told alot more ppl about ivf and I'm so surprised how common it is..

Now when my child/children are older and use the 'you dont own me' line I can say yes matey I sure do! Paid over X amount for you!! Haha.

X

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jessesgirl For This Useful Post:

RunningWithScissors  (05-05-2012),Ulysses  (19-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bebehvala View Post
    What I'm keen to know is - how and when do you tell the child? When is the right time to mention it?!?
    My nephew was conceived using IVF. He found out about it when DH and I started going to IVF appointments. My sister bought "So That's Where I Came From" http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/4770971 and discussed a bit of it every time DH and I went to the FS.
    At age 3 (approaching 4) he surprised his Dad by telling him the difference between IVF (how he was conceived) and ICSI (what DH and I were doing). He'd seen pictures in an IVFA booklet that day.
    At age 4, when I got my BFP, he butted into a phone conversation between his mum and grandma to ask excitedly if Aunty Lissy's baby seed had worked this time.
    (My sister has told him both adult and child words, while trying to keep the concepts accurate. A "baby seed" is what you make using egg and sperm, and then put into a mummy's tummy to see if it will grow into a baby.)
    Last edited by felicita; 07-03-2012 at 10:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    IVF is no secret for us. I'm quite open about it to everyone (in context). We intend to tell baby minus the nitty gritty details when she's old enough, since everyone else knows, how can we ever hide it from her? I've bought this book: http://www.explainingconception.com.au/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    we were very open about our ivf...we even posted photos of splodge (the embryo that become our DD) on facebook! I refused to be ashamed of it, i am so proud of us for going through all that we did to get our lil girl.

I always say that my DS was my natural miracle because i got preggy with him the month i came off the pill and my DD is my manmade miracle cause she took 3 years and 6 cycles to get. They are both amazing and both special.

DD will know, just through general conversation. It is not a secret and it is part of her birth story

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're very open about it. We went through tough times to get him and I'm proud of our little miracle. After I've mentioned that he was IVF I've had other mums tell me that their baby is as well. I also tell E every night as I'm putting him to bed how blessed we are to have him, how happy he's made us and that he was worth the wait. I plan for him to always be aware of where he came from. DH often looks at him smiling and says "We made him... with a team of medical experts". It's a running joke between us.

Sent from my X10a using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ManchesterLass For This Useful Post:

babywishes4me  (19-03-2012)

lola77 is offline BH Advocate - Sydney: Northern Beaches
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh goody! I've wanted to start a thread on this for ages.

We're both totally open about it for a few reasons. I'm proud of how my little man was created, we don't see it as a personal failing, just using the technology at our disposal just as you would do with any other condition.

Secondly, when we went down the IVF route, I felt so alone and that everyone else got pregnant so easily. When we did start to talk about it, I realised that so many people have conception difficulties, but no one talks openly. I decided to talk openly (in context!) so that others going through the same difficulties would not feel so alone - by doing so, I supported 2 different friends in their IVF journey and others through their multiple miscarriages, that no-one else knew about.

Finally, we all have faced those dreaded questions from friends and family about when we're having kids. I felt that by talking about the difficulties we faced, and how common those issues are, that people might think a little more about how asking those questions might be inappropriate. Having said that, I have colleagues who know I've done IVF repeatedly ask when we're having number 2.

I'm really interested to see what other people do. My 2 non-BH friends are very cagey. One friend hasn't told the in-laws because they're a very traditional, masculine, hunting animals kind of family, and I think her DH sees their unexplained fertility as a weakness. The other friend got eggs from her cousin, and outside her immediate family, I'm one of 2 people who knows.

Every time DS comes to the clinic with me for yet more blood tests, scans etc I tell him he was made there. I really should read up on the best ways to tell kids before I confuse him!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think Ivf is so common these days it's like telling your kids they were born via cesarean section. It's biggie and 30% of their class probably was too. If they were donor egg or sperm it gets a little more tricky but I want max knowing from the start he was donor egg.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

hopefulmama2b  (16-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have always been very open with people about our journey through IVF (obviously in context). We have never been ashamed, in fact I am quite the opposite. IVF saved my life. I was diagnosed with an ovarian tumour (the kind that turns into ovarian cancer) and I was completely unaware. I am one of the lucky ones but have to be checked every year - small price to pay.
    Our darling little miracle is told every day by me and her daddy that she is very special to us, so wanted and worth every IVF heartache.
    So IVF saved two lives...................mine and allowing my daughter to become a part of this world.
    Fertility issues seem to be more common than not, although when faced with those challenges we all feel very alone.
    We will tell our little girl that she was brought into our world by very special Drs that knew her mummy and daddy so wanted a little "bundle of joy" in their lives. We prayed every day that she would pick us as her mummy and daddy and when she arrived she was so perfect and just like an angel. When she gets older we will also have to explain to her that she is a twin (because all the scans up to 10 weeks include her twin) but that her twin is looking over her from heaven every day and making sure she is happy, healthy and very much loved.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Always Hoping For This Useful Post:

babywishes4me  (19-03-2012),jessesgirl  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH & I will definetly be telling people that our child was conceived through IVF.
    We are very grateful that IVF will give us a little miracle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, l am new to this thread. Hope you don't mind me adding my bit. After 7 years trying to have a baby with ivf. l ended up having twins. l am super proud that they are hear. l have no problem telling anyone they are ivf. Most people asked me, are they ivf or do twins run in your family. My answer was both. As there is 14 sets of twins in my family but mine are ivf. Be super proud, it really is such a mircle.