+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Coffee or no Coffee??

My DH insists that coffee has no effect on his swimmers except to maybe make them swim a lil faster.

Being diagnosed with very few an slow swimmers I'm not convinced that he should be allowed any coffee.

What is everyone's opinion on coffee?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Dreamin!

I say go for coffee!

Seriously I know a lot of ladies on here would say to drinking coffee to improve your chances, but in all honesty I do not believe that having a coffee a day is going to affect your cycle.

If you think about there are plenty of couples that conceive naturally who have no idea they were UTD and were smoking, drinking alcohol eating prawns, meats and cheeses!!

I know we should do everything we can going through IVF to become UTD, but a coffee or 2 a day is not going to be the deciding factor in achieving a BFP. My FS and FN all said, drink coffee, don't wrap yourself in cotton wool etc.

The only thing I did stop was drinking alcohol during the TWW just in case

Good luck, but don't stress about this, we have enough to deal with IVF that I think a coffee a day is probably a good thing for us xx

Disney Baby is offline <--- That's my baby at 8 cells old <3 Ahh the perks of IVF =D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think a coffee here and there would hurt

Thanks
    Reviews
    All in moderation my fs said... I've cut it out now I'm cycling though..

Dh is only allowed 2 a week and he's happy with that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In our experience, coffee is detrimental when there are low count/low motility issues. To throw some numbers your way, these are my DH count & motility results over several years:

2008 (no detox)- 0.4 million/mL, 0% rapid progressive
    2010 (after 6m no coffee/no alcohol)- 5 million/mL, 20% rapid progressive
    2011 (no detox)- 1.4 million/mL, 4% rapid progressive
    2012 (after 3m no coffee/no alcohol)- 2 million/mL, 30% rapid progressive

During 'no detox' time, my DH would be having 1-2 coffees a day and several beers on the weekends. Doesn't seem like much, but you can clearly see the increase in fast swimmers when he cuts it out. The count itself didn't change significantly, but at least the embryologist had better sperm to pick from.

My DH used to give me the 'coffee won't hurt' argument, but now he readily agrees to detox for 3m minimum before a fresh cycle.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SimpsonDesert For This Useful Post:

dextersmum  (09-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies.

I've been trying to encourage DH to keep the coffee limited. He doesn't drink alcohol but he does like his coffee. I'm thinking if he can stick to one a day sometimes miss a day that might be good considering his past test results..

Thats interesting lindylou78 that you an hubby have monitored the effects alcohol and coffee have had over sometime. It's nice sometimes when you can be certain of some things instead of feeling unsure what things could have a reasonable effect.