+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    On a month-by-month, you don't ned to give a reason to vacate. So just put your notice in in writing and that should be it.

I'm glad you took the photos when you moved in. I reckon if your LL hasn't done repairs, they will try to pin it on you. Some LL are bad like that and it sounds like your Agent isn't that great either.

If you run in to problems, feel free to PM me. I may not get back to you quickly next week, but I will be around

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ugh rentals hey! We rent and have gone through similar things.

When we moves into this house after a week of living here the lights wouldn't work, The windows were jammed and we couldn't open a few of them, also the fans stopped working and the garage door wouldn't open (obviously something was wrong with the electrics) we also lost hot water and the taps were leaking.

I called our real estate agent and told him what was going on and he said he will contact the owner.. After a few days I called again and he said he hadn't herd back from the owner.. I kept calling and kept getting told "I haven't herd back from the owner"

We received an entry notice that said the owner was coming over, we thought the owner was coming over to see what was going on ect.

When the owner got here he said he was just here because he wanted a quote on the back patio to have re-roofing.. I explained to him all the problems and how the agent was trying to get in contact with him.
    The owner was pretty shocked as he hadn't received a phone call or email from the real estate,
    The owner came over in the morning to do the quote and by the after noon we had an electrician and plumber over to fix all the things and the owner organized a locksmith to sort out the windows for 2 days time.

We got sent an entry notice about a month later, it was the owner having another quote on the patio and I told him that the shower head fell off and I had told the realeste about a week ago.. Once again he had heard nothing from them! In the end the owner of the house game me his email address and told me just to send him a copy of the emails I send the realestate. Ever since doing this 2 years ago when ever there is a problem it's sorted with in a week or for major problems it's fixed right away.

I would be going down to the place you rent through and just tell them what's been going on, and that the place has become "unlivable" because no one has fixed the problems (not hot water is very bad) and that you will be moving out regardless.
    Hopefully in the next rental you will have better luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Our Little Family View Post
    We moved into the house we are currently renting in July last year.

From the very start there were issues with the house & yard being filthy, there were random things floating around the the backyard, the house had not been cleaned and there were the previous tenant/owners belongings still in the house, the clothes line couldn't be used and the light in the laundry gave me an electric shock, We spoke to the property manager about this and he said he would speak to the owner and get all of the issues fixed.

The property manager then got back to us and said we can clean up the yard ourselves and we would receive compensation, this never happened.

We called a few days later to advise that the kitchen sink leaks, the back sliding door had locked itself and we were not given a key & the oven door just came off, the property manager advises he will speak to the owner and get back to us...

I have just today completed a property management course as part of my on going training (I am a real estate agent). At this stage your
    We didn't hear back from the property manager so i called the office a few days later and spoke to the manager of the office, he said he would get onto it and get everything fixed... Once again no one got back to us.

We ended up getting a plumber in to fix the sink and a few other issues.

Now the hot water is leaking once again in the kitchen which leads to us having no hot water to shower with as the hot water system is tiny and also the cabinet under the sink is starting to rot because of the leaking water, the toilet is now also leaking and we have wood cockroaches everywhere because the house is falling down around us.

We want to move and want to know if we can give only 14 days notice due to what we think is a breach of agreement.

So, back to my original question, do you consider this to be a breach of agreement?

Im a little worried to go this route as all of the contact in regards to repairs was done over the phone, none were reported in writing, will this be an issue?

Thanks in advance!

At this stage your best course of action is to speak with consumer affairs who will in turn refer you to VCAT (if you are in vic or similar for your state). Do not take matters into your own hands and say you want to vacate with 14 days notice as legally it is the tribunerals desicission to make. You are correct about the breach of contract, however with regards to the garden it was a verbal agreement which probaly wont have legs to stand on. I have just today done a property management exam (and passed as part of my real estate licence) and you must do the above to resolve the problem. If you try to vacate with 14 days notice you will more than likely loose your bond and be liable for releasing costs, rent etc.... which totally sucks but its law. If I were you I would start putting together a case based on factual evidence - video footage, photos etc...... Please get in touch with consumer affairs asap they will be able to help you get things resolved very quickly. Good luck xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lovelymum View Post
    Do not take matters into your own hands and say you want to vacate with 14 days notice as legally it is the tribunerals desicission to make.
    Unless the rules are very different over there, that's not the case with a month-by-month lease, which is what the OP is currently on. She is able to give her notice and leave without involving the tribunal under the terms of the month-to-month lease.