+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Pain during bottle feeds, bowel motion...

Hi my newborn is 3 weeks old and as soon as he starts drinking / sucking the bottle he cries, squirms in pain, kicks his legs out and it interrupts his bottle feed. Once he passes a bowel motion ( a normal one) and I change his nappy, he then continues to feed fine and happy.

Is this normal? (Him getting used to the pain of his bowels) Or the formula?
    He is on Karicare gold / Aptamil.
    Is there a more gentle one for him?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    The digestive tract is all connected. When we eat or drink our bodies activate the entire system at the same time. Thats why people who use elimination communication notice their bubs wee/poo mostly when feeding.

The sucking mechanism activates the gut and digestive tract to produce enzymes that help with digestion and metabolism. Thats why babies that have tummy upsets and or reflux will want to suck to soothe themselves.

Our 18mth DD will poo after every meal without fail. It is so easy to pop her on the potty and we have been doing that for over 6mths now. Since your bub is so predictable you might want to try EC.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 5 week old bub has a similar issue, except she doesn't poo at the time, she has been constipated n appears to get pains, which I presume are either related to the constipation or wind, as she farts a lot. I started on the same formula as u, but switched to Nestlé Nan HA1 Gold as I heard it was gentler on the tummy.
    Keen to hear other people's input...
    Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We had the same problem & we were put on Zantac for silent reflux, at the time we were breastfeeding though. When we started comp feeding with formula we used S26 which just didn't seem to agree with my DS... it was suggested we try NAN ha gold & he's been a dream baby since putting on weight, sleeping well & doesn't seem to be in pain when feeding anymore (he isn't on Zantac anymore since switching to the Nan ha gold).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks.
    We just had another bad feed with screaming and squirming, but no poo though. He isnt constipated.
    The nurse just suggested Nan Ha. I am just wondering if I tried it today, would I notice the difference the first feed on NAN or would it take a couple of feeds to notice the difference?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by veronarose View Post
    My 5 week old bub has a similar issue, except she doesn't poo at the time, she has been constipated n appears to get pains, which I presume are either related to the constipation or wind, as she farts a lot. I started on the same formula as u, but switched to Nestlé Nan HA1 Gold as I heard it was gentler on the tummy.
    Keen to hear other people's input...
    Xxx
    Same here VeronaRose - the hospital started FJ on S-26 Gold but he was really constipated (not going regularly and coming out in pebbles) so the Health Nurse suggested Nan HA1 Gold for the same reason you mentioned... but he doesn't like the taste, is still straining with no results and his possiting has increased!

There's so much support for BF, I wonder who you turn to for help with FF??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used Nan Ha Gold for DS, within the first week he was constipated, so I would add just the tiniest bit more water - like 5ml if that, to each bottle and found this helped until his body got used to the formula.

It does suck that there's not really any advice for FF, but we're here if you need us

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sjay For This Useful Post:

KatieMarie  (19-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Gold formulas are hard to digest. Both my dd & ds were unsettled & constipated on s26 gold. Switched to plain & had a much happier baby. Your mchn will verify this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    I was going to change to a plain formula (Heinz), but when I spoke to Heinz they said the non-gold original formula was for babies that were part BF or were moving on from being BF. They told me to use GOLD if FF only.
    Anyway it turns out DS has reflux and the Karicare thickener has helped heaps.