+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do I have to stop swaddling my baby???

DS2 is 4
    ½ months old. He has been rolling over for a few weeks now. He was sleeping in a Love To Dream swaddle and was a really good sleeper and self settled very well. For the past week we have changed him to a sleeping bag and his sleeping has gone to the dogs. He has gone from having day sleeps of around 2 hours each, to ones that are lucky to be 1 hour long. His night sleeping has been really bad too. Normally he wakes for feeds and goes straight back to sleep afterwards with not a problem, but now he can be unsettled for periods of 3 hours! His hands still flail about all over the place and I'm thinking this is keeping him awake. He has never actually rolled over in bed so do I have to stop putting him in the wrap???? It's not the type of wrap that allows you to really transition one arm out at a time or anything either. It contains his hands but he can move them to his face and suck on them without his arms being free enough to whack about all over the place. Do I persist with the sleeping bag or go back to the wrap and try again in a few weeks??? I have a sensor monitor for his cot, so if he got into trouble and stopped breathing I would know.

Why do babies have to be so different? DS1 went into a sleeping bag at 3 months and had no problems whatsoever with it.
    Last edited by Witchypoo; 06-03-2012 at 06:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Love to dream do make a swaddle where you can transition to arms out. The wings zip off each side so you can do 1 arm at a time... not sure if this helps you or not. Im dreading when DS rolls and we can't use the love to dream swaddles anymore! He sleeps so well in them. Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wrapped my son for as long as I could, 6 months at least (but prob closer to 7 or 8). Then one day he was just ready to be out of it, no transitioning at all. Personally, if he's not rolling over and sleeping well, i'd keep him wrapped.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My lil guy is 4 1/2 months too

Quote Originally Posted by summastarlet View Post
    Love to dream do make a swaddle where you can transition to arms out. The wings zip off each side so you can do 1 arm at a time... not sure if this helps you or not. Im dreading when DS rolls and we can't use the love to dream swaddles anymore! He sleeps so well in them. Good luck!!
    I didn't know they made these! We have a love to dream. I saw a product called sleepy wings where they get used to having the legs out first.

This sleeping gig is hard business!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds is 8 months and I've only just taken him out of his love to dream.
    He used to sleep in a wedge on his side and never rolled over that, but once he did i still kept the wrap.

He was like yours, flailing about and not sleeping and generally unsettled without the wrap. Because of how those wraps work, he could without any trouble, prop himself up when we woke or rolled.

The only reason i took my ds out (maybe 4 days ago) was because his sleeps were worse because of it.

HTH

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to swaddle ds for ages because of his bad eczema, even socks on his hands wouldn't stop him from gouging skin from his cheeks.
    So at about 6-7 months and his skin clearing up I decided out was time to stop swaddling. I did it by gradually wrapping him looser and looser in his muslin wraps. That way he could get used to small jerks etc in his sleep without startling himself awake. Then I did them loose enough that with a few jerks or wiggles he'd unwrap himself completely, and spend the rest of the night unwrapped. It was pretty gradual but certainly did the job without mucking up his sleep patterns.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    All of mine have been tummy sleepers & started rolling at 2 months. I think if they're strong enough to roll over & lift their head they are strong enough to move their head to the side when they roll onto their tummy. Just make sure the mattress isn't soft or saggy & no bumpers & doonas.

With our eldest DS, my hubby used to go in all the time & put him on his back... he would just roll straight over.

With the Swaddle me up/Love to dream, I read that the hands up position is what makes their wrap safe for tummy sleepers (I think it was on the 'Sleepy Store' website).

Thanks
    Reviews
    We stopped swaddling DD at about 3-4months. She was getting out of them anyway throughout the night so we just stopped doing it. Had a week or so of adjusting (wrapped her loosely with arms out) but since then she has slept fine without. We started using a sleeping bag though (arms free) because she figured out it was entertaining to kick the blankets off so mum has to come back in... cheeky little thing would kick them off then start grinning & kick again as you tried to cover her again...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Bexta View Post
    I didn't know they made these! We have a love to dream. I saw a product called sleepy wings where they get used to having the legs out first.

This sleeping gig is hard business!
    I think it's called a 50/50 transition swaddle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DD is nearly 5 months and I had to stop swaddling at about 3.5 months because it was too hot in our bedroom to swaddle. She has gradually been improving and has had 2-3 hour day naps and is going longer stretches at night (was initially not so good when I transitioned to the sleeping bag).