Hi Bubhubbers!
My name is Courtney and Im currently in my second year of a post reg Bachelor of Midwifery at UniSA. As a part of my course I have the honour of "following" a number of women throughout their pregnancy, birth and postnatal journey.
Known as Follow throughs or Continuity of Care this program is an invaluable learning tool and can also benefit mums and dads to be too
The requirements are that we attend a minimum of 2 antenatal and 2 postnatal appointments and ideally attend your labour/birth.. However, if you choose to have a student midwife YOU are completely in control, you can choose how much or how little I do and if at any stage you decide you no longer want a student thats not a problem.
If I were to join you throughout you pregnancy I would be under the supervision of your chosen care provider and abide by the same rules of confidentiality and privacy as any other health professional.
Previous mums and dads who I have been able to "follow" have said that they enjoyed having a friendly familiar face (particulary if your care choice doesnt guarantee the same health care provider at each appointment) and an extra set of ears to ask questions that can often be forgotten/missed at appointments. I can attend as many appointments as you like and enjoy getting to know women and their families and developing a thorough understanding of your needs and expectations in regards to the birth of your child and help you work towards achieving these.
A little bit about myself, Im 25 and work part time as a registered nurse, I have a gorgeous 4 year old girl and am currently living in Murray Bridge, although I am in the process of relocating to Adelaide (just north of the CBD). I am happy to travel, and have had many appointments at Murray bridge, womens and childrens and anywhere inbetween
If you would be interested in having a student or would like more information please dont hesitate to contact me.. for a faster reply my email is swaca002@mymail.unisa.edu.au
All the best