+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What is your lifestyle like in your suburb?

I want to compare my lifestyle with others living in major cities...

We live in the inner suburbs. I don't want to move but my DH does. Our suburb is really expensive and we are in a tiny house with no yard. My DH thinks it would be good for the kids if we moved further out so we had lots of space and a big yard. I grew up in the city, so I am hesitant about the 'burbs.

Right now, I'm a SAHM and I love my local community. It's a very busy neighbourhood, with lots of cafes and shops around and lots of families and everything is within walking distance. Most days I take the kids out somewhere (we always walk) - to a cafe for a coffee and babychino, to playgroup, to a park, or to the main shopping strip if I need to run errands or buy food. We constantly bump into friends and neighbours, people from playgroup etc on the street or at the park. I have an enthusiastic mothers group, all in the neighbourhood, who meet up once or twice a week at the park, and catch up for playdates inbetween. My playgroup organises nights out for parents at the pub or a restaurant. The public school my kids will go to has fete days and trivia nights and working bees in the veggie garden. It is everything I wanted in a neighbourhood.

I understand DH's desire for space, but I'm scared of ending up in an empty suburb as a SAHM with nothing to do and empty streets and parks with no-one to meet and getting in the car all day to go anywhere.

So, tell me what it is like where you live? How far are you from the city centre? Do you walk or drive around your area? Are your friends all in the same suburb? What do you do all day as a SAHM? Do you meet like minded people in the community? What facilities do you have near by? Do you stay in your suburb or do you wander around the rest of the city?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm in the wrong city to be able to help you, but...

I want to live in your neighbourhood! You've just convinced me!! lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live in one of the first suburbs outside of Perth inner city. Like you, we compromise on space to live with a cafe strip in our back yard, a buzzing community and I walk everywhere. I'm 27 weeks with my first bub so yet to fully trial it with kids but neither DH or I are ready to leave. We know that within 5 years we will outgrow but we are hoping to match that with salary increases that allow us to upscale and perhaps only shift one suburb along so that we will have continued access to facilities and the same schools. I run my own biz from home so not going to be completely SAHM but if that was to change I just couldn't imagine being in the outer 'burbs.
    How far out would you have to shift to get a bit of a garden and some decent schools?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Our suburb is v similar to what you describe and so is the one we are moving to in a couple of weeks. We sacrifice our own backyard for DH being within walking distance of work and DD and I being in the midst of a metropolitan village.

There are parks within a minute's walk and no lack of green space. It's just not our own back yard.

Ideally we'd have both but we can't so we choose proximity to the city centre.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We live 35mins from the CBD, and yet are semi-rural. We live in a very quiet suburb, given that it is semi-rural, wide open spaces, cows, sheep, horses is many yards, we're surrounded by orchards of all kinds, great little park across the street that often sees the local children playing it.

3mins by car is the next suburb with little shopping strip, major supermarket, quite a bustling little village, really, a few more parks, cafes etc...

I love it here and wouldn't change things for the world. I heart Tassie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm about 15 mins from the city, but it's not considered "inner" Sydney, it's just past the inner west. We live 5 minutes from the beach, so many parks around, it's a great family area. There are 3 parks all within 2 minutes walking distance from my house. The area is a mixture of retirees and young families, and many different cultures. In my street, there are a lot of young families.

Honestly, we have considered moving further out, simply because of housing cost more than anything else as we already have a big yard, but my husband would see less of the kids due to extra travel. We like being close to the beach and the city and I still see my friends from mothers' group regularly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm an hour from the city, closer once the enormous freeway opens up next year. (not in your state though..)
    I.love.my.town.
    It's got everything you talk about plus the benefits of being a "beachy" town.
    Full of families, great schools, amazing restaurants, wineries, just a great lifestyle.
    We live in a huge modern house 2 blocks from beach and walking distance to parks, shops etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think we have the best of both worlds but are in Melb so can't help you! We are about 20 mins from the city, Zone 1 train but no trams. Its suburbia, so good size land, but with the beautiful old houses, and a very busy centre with the BEST food shopping ever and a really busy cafe culture. As in the mall is packed from early morning to late at night with cafes. We have a really high Greek population so I think thats why the cafes and food are so good

All my close friends in Melb (I am not originally from here so most of my close friends are back home) live in this suburb, there's a park, the library etc, all those things SAHM do with young kids. The kinder is attached to the school, which is quite small, so the kids usually go to kinder and through school together. Unfortunately there are not any really good high schools in this suburb though.

I think I am a bit like minded with other people in this area, its very middle class, most people here are not rich, but its probably about 7-800k for a 3 bd house with yard, so not cheap. Lots of SAHM like I am, professionals etc, but not really high income. I am a lot younger than most though, and probably a bit more 'alternative' (not that I really am but people here are very main******) but I think a lot of people in this suburb votes labor and greens.

I would love to live inner-city but could not survive without a yard, I LOVE my hills hoist (sad, I know) and with all the kids need the space. And its too expensive anyway!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    I'm an hour from the city, closer once the enormous freeway opens up next year. (not in your state though..)
    I.love.my.town.
    It's got everything you talk about plus the benefits of being a "beachy" town.
    Full of families, great schools, amazing restaurants, wineries, just a great lifestyle.
    We live in a huge modern house 2 blocks from beach and walking distance to parks, shops etc.
    I'd seriously consider it if I were you. BUT you can't buy friends and community..

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, it sounds like my neighborhood. Except our family of 5 is in a 2 bed unit.
    But literally everything is within walking distance- DH's work, DD's preschool, the kids paediatrician, the train station, post office, the hospital where I gave birth, my obstetrician.
    As much as I love this lifestyle, for us, it is not sustainable long term. We need more space, and we'd have to sacrifice a lot of our lifestyle to get the extra space within our budget. We have been here almost 5 years and with little children it has been great, but we're moving into school runs and extra-curricular activities and we just can't continue living in each others' pockets.
    So we'll be moving interstate at the end of the year, back to where our families live. More space and family support, but a less cosmopolitan lifestyle. You just have to weigh things up to get that balance.