+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Women either get the job they love, or have kids. It doesn't work both ways.

Yes this is a vent. This was about a friend's fb status. One of his friends said that to me after a comment that I don't want women to rule the planet, all I want is equal opportunity and that means we need to level the playing field. If that sometimes means adjusting work hours to fit in with childcare hours then that's what we need to push for.

But nope, we should choose kids or work, not expect both. Wanna work after kids? Do letterbox delivery, cleaning or babysitting. Yes, all valuable types of work, all good for extra cash, but it won't pay the house off.

Vent over.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

MsMummy  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Funny how fathers are never accused of "wanting it all" when they *heaven forbid* want to enjoy their job as well as be a parent. It's sh!t, but don't listen to them. Their tiny little closed minds mean nothing.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

glowingjoh  (05-03-2012),LotusMum  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It wasn't just him, it was also the people who agreed with him, including 2 female train drivers who couldn't grasp the fact that they are able to do that job because they haven't got to work around childcare hours like other women with kids do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Some people are just messedup in the head. When I go back to work, when DD and belly babe are older, I will go back to doing what I love. Starting PT as DP works FIFO.

I have been a restaurant manager for 10 years prior to becomming a mum and love it. Hence, this "facebook friend" of yours can jam his narrow minded thoughts where they fit.

I also know a lot of other mums who have a job they love AND *gasp* children!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Funny how fathers are never accused of "wanting it all" when they *heaven forbid* want to enjoy their job as well as be a parent. It's sh!t, but don't listen to them. Their tiny little closed minds mean nothing.
    It's not just women though, it is any parent who chooses to spend more time with the kids. A friend of DH's is taking some parental leave to look after his kids and it is seen as a career ending move. I'm beginning to wonder if there really is inequality of the sexes or if it is a reaction to being the carer of children.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsdj1234 For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that it's probably more about the carer of children but that is the woman more often than not....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Benji  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    it should not be an either/or situation, it's close minds that allow this inequality to continue.

I'm lucky I do what I love each day and will soon have a baby of my own but it's not just females that get faced with kids or career it's any parent or any carer that requires a bit more flexibility.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I agree with others that it shouldn't be an either or. And I agree with the PP that said that no one says boo about fathers 'having it all.'

I'm lucky I'm entering a field (naturopathy) that is family friendly and will fit around my lifestyle and my family, but that should be an option for everyone and not a luxury.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pffffst, I love the 'one or the other' opinion. I've had some downright nasty, bishy things said about my choice to return to full time work - all by women I might add.

Yep, I'm gonna throw away all that study, time, effort and my 6 figure salary because some narrow minded w@nkers can't see past their own nose! To that