+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Has anyone had a baby at Pindara hospital within the last year?

Hi can anyone help me make a decision on whether to have my baby at Pindara Hospital. I had my first baby at the mater private hospital last year and they seemed really short staffed and I really struggled to get support especially with breastfeeding. My baby ended up in the special care nursery with a low blood sugar level because no one would answer when i buzzed and i couldnt get the baby to attatch. I heard that Pindara was very pro breast feeding?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Me! I'll reply to your q's later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subscribing. Also was interested in comparison of pindara and John Flynn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ive had my last 3 daughters at Pindara, the last being 10days ago and I can't speak more highly of them.. They are very pro breast feeding and help you get the perfect attachment, as soon as you buzz they are there but also leave you alone when you are sleeping/have visitors etc.. You have the choice of the regal sweet which is a much bigger room where DH can stay and also get fed!!
    My obgyn is Dr Alwyn Dunn have had him for the last 3 and he is fantastic..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my baby 5 months ago at John Flynn and can't speak highly enough about them. More like a hotel than a hospital and all the staff are wonderful.
    In comparison, my friend had her 2 babies at Pindara and had quite a different experience. From what I saw the staff were nowhere near as nice and didn't give her anywhere near the level of support she needed. When she had her second child, even after her repeatedly saying that she had big problems breast feeding with her first, no one offered any support or advice until she was asked to stay in another day as her baby wasn't putting on enough weight.

After reading other people's opinions, I would definitely chose John Flynn or the Mater. Both I have read glowing reviews whereas reviews of Pindara that I have seen have steadily got worse.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ClassyChick For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hungary Catapiller View Post
    Hi can anyone help me make a decision on whether to have my baby at Pindara Hospital. I had my first baby at the mater private hospital last year and they seemed really short staffed and I really struggled to get support especially with breastfeeding. My baby ended up in the special care nursery with a low blood sugar level because no one would answer when i buzzed and i couldnt get the baby to attatch. I heard that Pindara was very pro breast feeding?
    Sorry, earlier I had a baby attached to me and a toddler trying to make mummy be a horse. Never a good combination.

I had both boys at Pindara, the first in 2009 & the second last November. I really noticed a huge difference with the second. They have really stepped up the breastfeeding support and are currently in the process of becoming a baby friendly accredited hospital so are really trying hard to help establish feeding.

My only concern both times was a couple of passing comments from midwifes that as I had two fairly textbook deliveries without induction and without drugs (ok I did use the gas) that I was not the norm. That doesn't necessarily reflect on the hospital though, I suspect it has more to do with the Gold Coast demographic. They all thought it was weird that I was going home less than 24hrs after I had him.

They have recently upgraded their special care nursery facilities too.

I never had any problems with staffing, they were always very quick to respond to my buzzer.

The food is pretty good too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and I used Penny Isherwood for my OB, although I was delivered by Alwyn Dunn for DS1 and he was great too.