+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default TTC after Husband's Chemotherapy ICSI

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here has conceived after their Husband has finished Chemotherapy. If so how long after did you wait?

The reason I ask is we are starting ISCI at the end of the week and our FS has recommended we use fresh sperm instead of the frozen sperm before Chemo.

I'm concerned the fresh sperm still could have damaged DNA from the Chemotherapy which was finished 16 months ago. I have read online men shouldn't conceive until 2 years after Chemo, our FS said only 1 year.

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I can't give you any help, but wanted to wish you GOODLUCK. I hope your journey is a short one & you get your BFP first try.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi kmvw,
    my b-in-law was diagnosed with cancer 4 years back and the cancer came back 2 years ago.he is ok now,and TTC for the second bub. they were told that it would be ok to try after chemo. my sis is has a bit of a concern as she doesnt want to take a risk.hope all goes well for u guys.tc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ,

Sorry you've had to go through cancer and chemo - I know it SUCKS!

We are currently 5 months UTD after doing ICSI with Genea.
    We waited 5 years before TTC, but that was due to us being young and not wanting kids at that time not because of medical reasons.

Although my DH's sperm has not returned even after 5 years. Although he had 2 years of high dose chemo and radiotherapy, including a stem cell transplant.
    I did ask my FS about going in and looking for fresh sperm and he said to us that frozen sperm would yield better results [and be less cost] and have less risk of DNA issues for us.

BUT I know that was in our case, because as I said DH had such high dose chemo, and he had not one sperm in his ejaculate to test.

Do you mind me asking why you're doing ICSI if your DH's sperm has returned?

Perhaps it would would be worth seeking a second FS opinion - just to get peace of mind you're going down the right path for your situation.

Happy to answer any questions you have, just PM me.

All the best for your IVF journey.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Bebe, yeah it does suck! In the end we had no choice but to use frozen samples, the frozen ended up being better quality then the fresh. The frozen is not so great but we had 100% fertilization rate with 7 eggs, 2 divided too fast so they discarded them the other 4 are now frozen and the other was transferred. They were only 2 day embryos, however didn't work. We just finished the first cycle and now have to wait a month for FET. Have you had success?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

Sorry you did not have better luck first go - but to get great fert rates is a great start. Where a abouts are you guys? Which clinic are you with?

We were very lucky to get our BFP on the first cycle, sadly to MC at 9 weeks. And then we changed clinics [moved to Genea] and again got our BFP. I'm currently 21 weeks preggers with a little boy who is kicking up a storm as I type.

So don't give up, it def can happen. And when it does you feel extra excited that you beat cancer, AND still can have a family.

Wishing you all the very best.