+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I just got our first bill today since moving to Australia and it was 170$ including heating our water and oven for two people. I shower twice a day and we always leave the fan on two in the bedroom. Have used the aircon for maybe 20 hours in the last quarter.

we were putting $25 pw into a utilities account for power so are way under my budget..

In nz, power bills are monthly and ours (me and DFs) was 170$ per month so I'm happy as at the reduction as I was expecting 400-500 a quarter

Interesting to see what other people's are..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fairyflossfairy View Post
    Heaps of people claim they have small bills here as some sort of bragging rights that they "swelter" in the heat , our last bill was $800.... we do use the aircon as our girls and my hubby get bad rashes(I freeze with the aircon lol) but before we had aircon our bills were the same at the previous rental. I have caught a few people out who brag about low useage but actually have gas and solar and the best energy saving appliances but claim they are just like everyone else and do nothing different so do not feel like you are doing anything wrong. I gave up trying to cut my usage as my bills were always the same

So with or without aircon we have the same amount on our bill.

I do turn everything of at the wall every day I leave for work and before bed.
    Sorry, should explain my small bill. Like I said, cooking and hot water are on gas. The design of my house means that when I leave the windows open we only sometimes need one fan on. Sometimes no fans. We have an aircon, but it only really gets used by my mum when she stays the night, and only because she wants to blockout the noise that no one else seems aware of. Some afternoons we'll turn it on, but we have a house designed for qld summer. At our last place it was more. If I need a dryer I go to a laundromat because I can't afford a dryer and rarely use them anyway. Also, only 2 of us here, I was clothes once a week and sheets once a week, we have an 8kg washer. Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't see anyone bragging about a small bill. The OP asked people to share how much their bills are, and suggestions on how she could reduce her bill. That is how people have been answering.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My bills are low because the air con has been broken since winter, and all my appliances are energy saving (recently had to upgrade cause old ones broke) and I turn most things of when not in use

But since moving out of home my electricity bill has never been more than $200

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ours is about $400/quarter, plus gas. Gas for hot water/oven/stove
    We have RC aircon, but only use it when we really need to. Last winter we used it a fair bit and our bill was $800 . We don't have energy saving bulbs, run a chest freezer and drier (only if it been raining for a week and we need to get clean clothes).
    I admit I'm pretty lazy. At our old place our bills were less and we had water pumps/ran aircon for at least 8 hours a day every day in the bedroom, and our oven was electric. But we had all energy saving bulbs, only had lights on in the rooms we were in, turned all appliances off at the wall at night/when going out. We got that government program thing to save energy too, where the guy comes out and gives you light bulbs and checks your house and gives you a meter so you can see how much you're using, that was a big eye opener, an I really should get it done here too.
    So yeah, you can save money, but it's often a case of convenience vs cost!!
    If you want tips on reducing your bill, the electricity company website will probably help, I know the Ergon one has stuff...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    $90/ quarter, 3 adults - we have solar panels helping keep that low. Have air con but rarely use it. Do most washing at night.
    Eta: no gas

My little munchkin due May 2012! So to keep me busy till then, I'm learning how to use my iPhone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Between 500- 600 every 3 months no gas or solar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    $160 - $180 quarter. No idea why it's so cheap in this house were in.. But it is! No solar or gas. I am very green conscious though and have "green" bulbs in all light fittings and use them only once it's really dark.
    We are in QLD

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    How is it possible to have a $800 bill????? Is it the different companies charge more? Or are people using way more? I feel sorry for our planet

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our bills were about $500 when we lived in Darwin - solar hot water with electric boost (which was mainly used during the wet season) AC was on most afternoons and overnight in 2/3 bedrooms (on 24 degrees at a min usually 26/27 as that was comfortable for us most of the time).
    Our first bill in Brisbane was about $800 (connection fees were in there too) it was a shock and we hadn't used the AC the main difference is electric hot water. Since then I have been more careful about switching things off and switched the breaker off for a spa we don't have (so it wasn't attached to anything just on) i do use the dryer a bit mainly to finish things off with the wet weather) and our bills are about $375 ish I put $80 each fortnight into the bill so when it arrives I either have a credit or a small amount to pay last quarter we were putting $100 into it and we were $300 in credit so I reduced it and didn't pay a couple of times.