+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Vitamins

I got a prescription from my doc to get Folic Acid Tabs. A friend of mine then told me she took Blackmoores Pregnancy & Breastfeeding all through her pregnancies. I got some of those and the pharmacist told me that I should keep taking the Folic Acid ones as well, Is this right? They have 0.5mg in them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would probably only take one of the other, unless your doctor has prescribed them because you are folic acid deficient.

The recommended daily intake of folic acid for a normal female is 400mcg/day. A pregnant women (or one TTC) should be taking 600mcg day. A supplement will contain ~500mcg and the other 100mcg you will get from your diet (avocados, green leafy veges)

Anything over 1000mcg/day for sustained periods can lead to folic acid overdose. But this is not that common. Symptoms of folic acid overdose are diarrhea, insomnia, rash, fatigue, inability to concentrate etc (google to see more symptoms)

I would talk to your doctor first. But if must take both, dont take the tablets together. Take one with breakfast and one with dinner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like you might be doubling up. When I was pregnant, I took the Blackmores Pregnancy and Breastfeeding vitamins, and my ob/gyn told me to take them twice a day, and that would give me "just enough" folic acid.

My (non-medical, completely uninformed about your circumstances) opinion is that the Blackmores tablets give you more than just folic acid, so I'd go with them. There are plenty of other minerals and vitamins in there. From memory, I think they are mainly fish oil, which is meant to be great for little brains.

Obviously it goes without saying that it's worth a chat with your doctor. There is probably some reason behind the recommendation you have been given.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Think I'll just take the blackmores, I eat alot of salad etc anyway so could be too much.