+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default clothing a newborn???

hi everyone, im new here and have been doing a bit of googling about cloth nappies and alot of bub hub threads come up so though i would join you guys.

i modern clothed my last son from about 4 months, luckily i was able to get him in to mostly larges so i didnt need to upgrade my stash (though of course i did lol) thinking that he was going to be our last i didnt bother with anything that could be used for another baby so the only thing i have to fit a newbie (maybe) are BBH bamboo.

this time i my aim is to never put this baby in a sposie, i THINK i have my system worked out but would like some opinions.

im thinking of getting the stretch bamboo prefolds from the dappy shop 12 of each size ( i figure i can just fold the larger size down to use on a newborn yeah?)and a 6 pack of lushies from sustainable hemp products (+ i will have some second hand lushies bringing it to 11) and i have some BBH fitteds here already bringing my stash total to around 40 nappies.
    i will also have around 10 covers, a mix of PUL and wool.

now ive only heard great things about lushies so kind of have my heart set on them but cant find a great deal of feedback on the dappy shop prefolds, my other option for prefold was ishfly but the 2 sound very similar and the dappy is cheaper.

so if anyone can tell me if that is enough nappies for a wash every 2 days + drying time?
    how long do the dappy prefolds and lushies take to dry?
    will that be enough covers?
    and just general feedback on the nappies.

thanks.

The Crunchy Mum is offline BH Blogger - Cloth Nappies and Babywearing
    Thanks
    Reviews
    40 nappies! sounds like you're all set.

Prefolds would dry fairly quickly... even indoor drying (during winter) should take not more than half a day. If you're indoor drying rack is fairly packed with stuff and not much circulation, just take out a few of the prefolds and dry them in another spot which has better air circulation.

While waiting for the other MCNs to dry, sounds like you have enough prefolds to tide you over.

You just have to take the routine out for a spin once or twice (once it all begins) and you should know how things flow... e.g. what to prioritise for washing and drying to get them back into circulation, planning how to dry certain MCNs to have them back in time for your next outing etc.

If you have a spare pack of 'sposies lying around, don't beat yourself up if you have to slap one on when everything is still on the drying rack.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks, i thought it would be enough but newborns go through so many (mine anyway lol) so i wasnt quite sure.

do you know anything about the dappy shop prefolds? ive never used a prefold before im guessing if they are a bamboo 2/4/2 they would be pretty much the same as any other bamboo 2/4/2 right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have the Dappy shop prefolds and love them! I haven't used any others to compare them to though...

My DD is 8 weeks and started using them in the infant size when she was 3 weeks and just folded them over with a cover. And yes they are 2x4x2 and are nice and stretchy so they give a good fit.

Good on you for aiming to use no disposables, I still use 1 at night but will be trying to stop that soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh one other thing about the prefolds is that I do find they take a while to dry if not in the sun or can't be outside, I have 18 prefolds and manage OK so with 24 you should be sorted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just for another brand choice, have you seen Bumboo? They have great quality covers and their flats and prefolds are of the highest quality, if you want something that dries fast you could always use a s flat and fold it just like a prefold, flats really don't take any time to get the hang of and their are plenty of videos on you tube

Also Bumboo do a osfm pocket which you can just as a nappy cover when the baby is very little and then you can just pop the folded flat or prefold into the pocket

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum22 View Post
    Just for another brand choice, have you seen Bumboo? They have great quality covers and their flats and prefolds are of the highest quality, if you want something that dries fast you could always use a s flat and fold it just like a prefold, flats really don't take any time to get the hang of and their are plenty of videos on you tube

Also Bumboo do a osfm pocket which you can just as a nappy cover when the baby is very little and then you can just pop the folded flat or prefold into the pocket
    Couldn't agree more! I love my bumboos and the osfm pockets are great as night nappies! Pretty sure they are having a buy 2 get one free sale at the moment too

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks guys. im not a fan of terry on a little bub dont know why just can get a decent fit, they seem to work better when they are a bit older in my house and their waist and thighs are more in proportion (my babies have monster thighs lol)

i have heard of bumboos but havent looked into them will do though. i was going to go with ishfly but the dappy are cheaper.

how big was your DD born zzz? my babies average 4+kg so maybe i should just get the infants and not worry about the newborns.

im not due until september so drying shouldnt be too much of an issue for a few months anyway and im happy to use the dryer for a smidge for a fitted or prefold if need be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub was born at 3.3kg but was prob 4kg by the time I used the prefolds and just folded over the top to fit. So I reckon just get the infant size.

They were a little on the bulky side at first but it didn't bother me.

Sent from my LT15i

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks, might just get one of the newborns packs, if they dont fit for long i can just use them as boosters i guess.