+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is anyone doing aCGH testing? A few questions :)

Hey everyone,

Just a quick question, I am just in the wait to see if any of my embryos have made it to be biopsied for PGD (I have 6 day 5 embryos, but it is likely only 1, maybe 2 will make it). I am using a new clinic and they only biopsy hatching blasts (and they have to be amazing at that).

Is this true for all clinics for day 5 testing?

If you have had any embryos make it to PGD as a HB, what was your normal rate?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Scarlet,

We did an aCGH cycle in Jan, and my clinic does the 5 day biopsy like yours (probably the same clinic!). We had 6 embryos to start with, but by day 5 only 3 were suitable hatching blasties. Two were biopsied at day 5, and the third being slightly behind was done on day 6.

Of our 3 biopsied embies, 2 of them were normal. We were over the moon with that! In all the research I did (journal articles and overseas IVF forums), the abnormal rates for couples without a known genetic issue were shockingly high (50-75% abnormal). Some couples had 0 normal on one cycle, but then 5 normal on another!

Not all clinics insist on day 5/6 hatching blast biopsy, I know that IVF Aust offer a 3 day biopsy, then results come back before day 5, allowing fresh transfer of a normal blastocyst (if you have any). However at day 3, the embies have 6-10 cells and only ONE is removed for testing. The one they take could be the only normal cell in an abnormal embryo, or vice-versa, so it is less accurate.
    Good luck for your cycle . I know how excruciating it is waiting to clear each hurdle. The hardest was the wait for chromosome results.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am going to be having this testing in May but they are sending my embies away to be tested on day 3.

I'm very confused. I thought that if it came back saying that they were all abnormal then that would mean that it is likely all of my eggs are abnormal and that I shouldn't keep going with IVF with my eggs.

Lindylou from what you are saying it sounds like it can change between egg collections? That sometimes you might get 0 and other times you might get some?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Summershine,

I have seen UK IVF forums where women have had cycles with 0 normal, but in a subsequent cycle had several good ones. So yes it can vary from collection to collection.

My own FS told me about another patient of his who had a whopping 14 blastocysts biopsied for aCGH, and in the end only ONE was normal! That 1 out of 14 is now a 2yo little boy.

Since I get 3-4 suitable blasties per cycle, I'd have to do 4 cycles to get 14 embies to test. Based on that, my DH & I were prepared to try a minimum of 3 rounds of CGH before we accepted that it wouldn't work with our own eggs/sperm. But our FS was supportive of that & never suggested we should consider a donor if the first PGD cycle was no good.

Scarlet- how did you go? I hope you had more make it to biopsy stage than you expected.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SimpsonDesert For This Useful Post:

SummerShine  (06-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Lindylou. For two cycles I only managed to get one blasty and for one cycle I managed to get three. I wish I knew what I did differently on that cycle. I can't afford to do the testing more than once but it's interesting to know that it can change between cycles. I know that if they pass CGH they have a good chance of implanting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well lets hope you only need it the once, and you get a golden embie in May . After passing aCGH the stats are incredible. Up in the 80-90% range.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies, sorry to crash your thread

April- I remember you from a thread last year (maybe the 'May' thread?). I don't think you knew about your DH's balanced translocation at that stage though? Just thought I'd drop you a line and say good luck I still hang around and read some of these threads and noticed your post and your signature. If you're interested, there is a yahoo group specifically for Balanced Translocations with women (and some men) on it from all over the world. A lot of them are doing IVF with PGD. If you're interested in joining, PM me and I will forward you the details. A lot of them are super knowledgeable about BTs and I found them really helpful when we were TTC...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi April,
    I'll put the link here for you (I'm assuming that's OK with the moderators?!). You have to send an email to join before you can participate or read the posts. It's not as user friendly as bubhub but I got my head around it after a couple of days! I don't really post much at present but read the emails most days. When I went through my amnio they were all really supportive and helpful. I think the main thing that helped was knowing how many people are out there TTC with a balanced translocation.
    http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...ranslocations/
    Best wishes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies,

Thank you all for getting back to me, I didn't think I had any replies as I didn't get an email notification.

Well the news wasn't so good, we only had one of the 6 make it to biopsy on day 6. I had another hatching blast but it was a grade 3 so they refused to biopsy it.

I just feel that they may be wasting a lot of good embryos, I know their stats are amazing, but gosh it is torture for one embryo to test!

I am now going to do another cycle this month and hope to get another one or two to do the PGD at the same time.

This will be my 5th cycle, but second with this clinic. For whatever reason I have really crappy eggs or really crappy embryos. I have had a total of 10 embryos to PGD so far and all have been abnormal, except one and that ended in miscarriage. Most of those were day 3 testing though and weren't CGH, but I did have one HB tested and even that was abnormal

I actually have 3 children, 2 conceived easily naturally, the other not so easily and this time we are doing the IVF. I know it must sound horrible to those who just want one child but we just don't feel we are done yet and would much rather do the full testing than go through another transfer and miscarriage.

Lindylou if you don't mind me asking, do you remember how much stims you were on? This next cycle is going to be the same as the last and I have been told they don't go any higher cause it affects quality. This cycle I was on 300 and got the 7 eggs. We probably do have the same clinic

Also another strange question is did they tell you the sexes of the embryos? There is a long and complicated story as to why we are finding out, but was just wondering if they do tell you if you have no reason to know? If you don't want to discuss it, I understand or you could pm me if you don't want it public, I just wondered if everyone doing the testing found out what they would be transferring (and would also love to know your gender split!).

I would also love to know if it was your day 6 emby that was abnormal as my last one tested was.

April: I am intrigued that Hollywood would do a 3 day biopsy, when Genea will only do the biopsy on the HB. I would have assumed the procedure the same. I am from Perth but doing my IVF in Sydney, I do all my monitoring at Hollywood. I am sorry to hear that your cycle is not going as well as you would have liked, I think you should talk through the plan of freezing two, make sure they know what you plan so they can be biopsied before freezing.

Thanks all for getting back to me, sorry it took so long to respond.

I will let you know how I go with this round. Hopefully I will get a few more blasts that will be good for testing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh just found this thread after starting a similar one. I have 9 frozen day 3 embies I'm growing to blastie to test. They're currently in QLD and I need to move them to Melbourne, when they get here I will start. I'm scared they won't survive to blastie or won't survive the testing.