+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default BFing a toddler + social life

Hi all,
    My 18 mo old DS is still breastfed between one and 3 times a day. The only consistent feed is before his bedtime.

I'm planning to go out with my girlfriends one evening soon. How do I manage doing this? I've hardly ever expressed BM for him so that's not really an option.

Do I just let him know that he won't have his bedtime feed and get his daddy to give him some cow's milk before bed?

How have you done it??

Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd has never had a bottle and would never drink milk out of anything but me. She is 16 months and we left her over night for the first time last weekend and she survived without me! I was a bit of a wreck though. Dd took a couple of hours and a walk in the pram, a drive in the car and rocking to get to sleep for my mum. She woke once in the night mum gave her some water and she went back to sleep.
    Go out and enjoy yourself and just warn whoever is looking after bubba that it may take a bit to go to sleep but will happen eventually.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AvasMumma For This Useful Post:

Electric Boogaloo  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much AvasMumma! I think I will do that - DS is old enough now to understand that mummy has gone out. And hubby can handle any hysterics that come his way. Thanks for the reassurance. I'll just have to focus on enjoying myself instead of stressing about my little one...!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A toddler can handle missing out on feeds, and is old enough to understand that if Mum is not here, then s/he cannot get breastfed.

Warm milk and honey before bed can be a semi-alternative, but I would be inclined to offer it in a cup rather than a bottle.
    Note: Others will point out the risk of botulism (or something like that) giving honey to a youngster. So please do your own research to choose whether you think it is a concern to consider.

I was not concerned about leaving my toddler to miss even a couple of days of feeds if circumstances dictated.

I was inclined to offer a last feed just before I left, but it really depends on the child whether that'll make things easier or harder.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    dd settles fine for dh or my mums/sister if im out. though she will wake for boob when i get home

8. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Heyho Electric Boogaloo, if you think Bmilk will help prevent the hysterics, how about expressing just enough by hand for that one night and give it to hubby to provide to her in a sippy cup? BM does help them sleep. My bubs is only 8m so not in your situ yet, and I express exclusively as he won't BF anymore, so am big on the expressed milk thing. Expressing is easy once you get used to it (believe me, it's always an option IMO), and you may be more comfortable with emptier breasts when you go out. Could always leave the EBM with them just in case they need it, but I'm sure they'll get along just fine.

Good luck to your Hubs and have a great night out!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BaronessM For This Useful Post: