+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I bled for 6 weeks, and for me...it actually only got a tiny, tiny bit lighter
    Of course for the first couple of days it's really heavy, but after that it was still like a heavy period for me.
    I wore maternity pads probably for over half of that time, just because I was more comfortable doing that (I was super paranoid about leaks etc)...and then toward the end, just as I got more comfortable really - the overnight ones. All by Libra, they were great
    It didn't properly get lighter for me until about two days before it stopped completely...then came back heavy for a day, a day after it had stopped...then it was finally gone. And I haven't had a period since! (DS1 is 18 months and still breastfed, DS2 is 22 weeks gestation)
    My advice is just be prepared for anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Make sure the pads you buy are winged! I'm still bleeding 5 weeks on, but went out and bought a stash of different pads the first week as the maternity ones were horrible, not long enough, not winged, not flexible and left me feeling 'rubbed on' and sore.
    You can buy extra long winged pads at the supermarket, otherwise you may end up having to change your undies every time you change your pad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    thanks ladies for all your help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally agree with HappySlapper ~ buy the winged ones! Also, anything with 'maternity' written on it is more expensive, and the 'heavy flow' non-maternity extra-long night-time pads do the job. I had super heavy bleeding after a placental abruption, and these did the job just fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=mummyandbubby;6418634]
    I had a caesarean, so this might not apply but thought I would just post how my bleeding went.

how heavy is bleeding after birth?
    Extremely light, but very watery.

does it get lighter and if yes after how many days?
    Mine was very light but if I "over did it" it was a lot heavier and I have heard this is the same with natural birth (the over doing it and bleeding more)
    But my bleeding pretty much stopped 1 week pp and then spotted for 5 days then it was gone.

how many maternity pad will i need to buy? (packs of 10)
    I found that the blood was a bit on the odor side (TMI sorry) and because the bleeding was thinner than a period it felt very weird wearing a pad for to long even if it wasn't full, I changed pads about every 2-3 hours.
    My bleeding only lasted a week and a half but I remember when I was packing my hospital bag (expecting a natural delivery) I took 3 packs of maternity pads, I went through those 3 packs in the week and a half I was bleeding, they were packs of 12.

how many would i use in a day? (just an approx)
    I would go through about 3-5 pads depending.

what are the better maternity pads to buy? I didn't experience bad bleeding after, but I suffer extremely heavy periods, I go through a pack of maternity pads a day when I'm on my period and it last for about 10 days (I'm currently getting testing done to see why there so bad)
    And when I mean bad I mean bad bleeding! The best pads I have found that seem to hold the most amount of blood and clots are the Libra Maternity, I use them during the day then adult diapers at night so I'm not waking up frequently.

When I was leaving the hospital I told them I was so itchy down there! They said it was most likely thrush or a small infection from constantly being checked for dilation during labour, they gave me these absorbent sheets and told me to lay them down and try and spend some time sitting or laying down being "nicker free" to let my vagina breathe.. It was a god send! I did tear in the vagina and just outside the vagina when they tried with the forceps for a while before the C/section, and just that little bit of tearing made it uncomfortable to wear pads.
    So maybe just ask the midwives about the absorbent sheets to be able to have some nicker free time.

Good luck!!
    Last edited by Liddybugs; 06-03-2012 at 18:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and Libra maternity ( they have a picture of a baby on the front) are quite long and have wings..maybe they have a wing free version too but the ones I always get have wings.

But I agree wings are a must!