+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Trio View Post
    Honestly I think starting solids is way harder than getting breastfeeding going. At least I knew he wouldn't gag on milk!

It's good to know that it may take till 8months for some major swallowing, He does get bits in his poop so a little goes down.

So far he has had Carrot in sticks, pumpkin and sweet potato in lumps, pealed kiwi fruit, pear and plum halves, broccoli, beans, mash potatoe piles, mince, a strip of steak, Banana on toast, and banana with a bit of skin for grip left on. Some foods he squishes so far into his mouth it goes up his nose. others like carrot stick break off into very choky looking sizes.

I think I get more worried after every feed and he gets better a putting the food into his mouth.

Any ideas on any high iron foods I could try?

Thanks for all your replies, I think reassurance is probably what I need most!
    Hang in there! The point of baby led weaning is a relaxed approach so try to not stress if he doesn't get too much.
    My DD2 didn't really start to get a lot until about 10-11 months and seemed to enjoy mashing food through her hair more than anything!

To try and minimize the gagging, You could cook the more choky type foods like carrot a little longer so they mush up more in their hands. I think you're doing a pretty good variety of foods. We would just give whatever we were having and have it cut in pieces big enough to hold properly. A few favorites here are corn on the cob and baked beans, DS is quite a bit older though now but has loved baked beans for a long time - make sure you get the salt reduced variety though.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 2girls1boyplus1 For This Useful Post:

Trio  (08-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Stay with BLW you won't regret it!

As pp have said from 6 months to 1 solids are a learning process , babies have to get used to gumming/chewing/biting/swallowing plus the textures and flavors of food

Don't stress too much about iron just yet, don't forget he still gets it from his formula/bm , i gave my DS quinoa from 7 months plus put chia seeds in his eggs ( great sources of iron) usually by month 9 he should get the hang of it and you can try other iron rich foods ( mince , lamb cutlets , fish , spinach etc)

Try him on cold, cut up cucumber strips ( with skin on) these are great to start as they are easy to hold and they gum the inside soft flesh off ( also good for teething!) plus you can use them as dipper sticks in yogurt or dip plus I made egg pancakes ( 2 eggs mixed with chia seeds and herbs and dry fried, cut into strips)
    Also watermelon cut into chip shaped lengths is also easy to chew and swallow , good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Trio  (08-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronessM View Post
    Hi guys, I'd be really wary of carrot sticks (unless steamed till v soft) and toast for a seven month old. He's going from liquids, so needs things to be really palatable. Toast would be way too dry i'd reckon, unless the bub has lots of experience. Stick to mashes and purees, and really soft raw fruits and veg.

We use spoon feeding, but it's always bub led ~ if he wants it, he'll open up, if not, he'll turn away.

Always on empty tum, then offered a bottle/breast as top-up. He vacuums it down. Is 8mo today. Maybe you could put some on your finger for him to slurp off if you don't want to use a spoon.

The iron content is important. This is why solids at 6m is recommended ~ after 6m a baby's iron store built up whilst in the womb is starting to run low. Also apparently it's a window in which new flavours and textures can be adapted to easily.

I'd go back to mash and puree for a bit, but I do err on the side of caution, as I don't know how good my anti-choking skills would be in an emergency. Gagging is normal, but choking is a real hazard.
    Babies should always be offered milk before solids until 1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We tried apricot today and itwent susprisingly well, I just gave him a half and he kind off gummed off the flesh.
    Also when feeding oranges should you leave the skin on a wedge or peel a segment off?
    Bec I noticed you feed ravioli is that home made? if so how big are the pieces. would plain say spiral pasta bits be okay, or would a spagetti be better?
    Also we had quiche for dinner tonight, should I have tried him with a piece of that? are eggs okay?

Thanks heaps for all your replies, I love all the ideas for food I'm getting. I have also ordered the baby led weaning cookbook which I am looking forward to checking out.

Sleep tight

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Trio View Post
    Bec I noticed you feed ravioli is that home made? if so how big are the pieces. would plain say spiral pasta bits be okay, or would a spagetti be better?
    Whilst I'd like to say that all the food is home made, it's not. I buy the ready made stuff - makes for a very quick instant dinner and minimal washing up too.

In regard to oranges I would recommend removing all the peel and making absolutely sure there are no pips.

Cruskits were the first food DD really ate. I think she liked them because they kind of disolved in her mouth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Spagetti is great as first time pasta as its long and thin (plus you get great photos of the mess!)
    Quiche is fine, home made is better so you can not put any salt in , just make sure the pastry is not to crunchy for him

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I think you are over thinking it all. Gagging is part of the baby lead weaning experience (just incase you had no idea what the discussion was about baroness, mush is not part of this process at all)

Have you read Gill Raspleys book? Perhaps it would help you. My DD is 8 months and eats basically everything we do. I have even seen her eat steak and she has not a tooth in her mouth. Some of it gets swallowed. Some of it doesn't. It is all about the taste and textures and less about what is being swallowed as the breastmilk is the base of the diet.

Hang in there. Throw away all the puree knowledge that has been accumulated as it doesn't really apply here. The only rule of BLW is to only allow them to put food in their own mouth, never do it for them. Then it will all be ok.
    Cheers, Thanks. I get it now. Sorry to intrude upon something I didn't get. Good luck to you all, hope it works well, BaronessM.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD is 7mo and we're doing BLW too. I also get a bit freaked out by the gagging! Especially when she then spews up a heap of her last milk feed. She is getting better though and some of it's starting to go down. I try to give her bits of what we're eating when I can but haven't done anything with sauces etc yet. She's had (note that we try to increase kilojoules due to her low weight and she's cows milk & soy protein intolerant):

Grilled pumpkin
    Grilled eggplant with lots of olive oil
    Wholemeal Crumpet with nutelex spread
    Plain spaghetti (hilarious!)
    Steamed Carrot sticks
    Steamed broccoli
    Roasted pumpkin
    Homemade chunky chips (pan fried in olive oil, no salt)
    Lamb chop (meat with handles - she LOVED it)
    Steak strips
    Good quality sausage (also a winner, I think I have a carnivore on my hands!)
    Avocado
    Lettuce
    Cucumber sticks
    Mashed sweet potato
    Banana
    Watermelon
    Pear
    Apple

That's all I can think of but I'm sure there's more. She's having allergy testing next week, if that's all clear I'll start making more stuff for her - like if she's all good to have eggs I'll make fritters and veggie slices, stuff like that.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Trio  (08-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well tonights dinner worked really well, pumpkin and mashed potatoe and a bit of sausage. I think he got the mash and pumpkin down, just a bit of gagging when a lump of pumpkin got stuck in the side of his mouth.

Cue your daughter was born just 8 days before my son! Thanks heaps for posting your experiences, I used to always think what a waste it was when he spewed up the milk feeds. My boy is abit on the skinny side too.

So I think we are getting some where. I am feeling much better about all this now. Thanks everyone for all your help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have two BLW graduates, DD will be 3 in a couple of months and DS is 13 months old. I cook one meal for the whole family and cut up meat into toddler friendly pieces before taking it to the table. DS gets given a few pieces at a time (he has a habit of flipping the plate) and DD sits at the table with her own plate and cutlery.

Both started solids by simply stealing food off my fork and plate. We eat a pretty balanced diet so I've never been worried about anything being inappropriate for them.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

Trio  (08-03-2012)