+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Trying baby led weaning and finding it very hard and stressful!

G day Everyone!

I am a first time mum of a nearly 7 month old boy. We have been trying to use baby led weaning to start him on solids but it dosn't seem to be going so well. He hardly gets anything down, we end up in a massive mess, and he is still gags on bits which really stresses us out. Thats the most worrying bit. So much so that we tried to spoon feed him at which point he just turns his head and closes his mouth.
    Any advice? I try to feed him solids whenever I get something to eat, so about 5 times a day. (I know I have a diet starting monday!) He loves to grab the food and put it in his mouth and all over himself. I try soilds usually about 20mins after a breastfeed.
    Also what are your fav things to give? And do you give your kids toast? or meat?
    Thankyou so much!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Dd just eats what we eat so that's everything from a piece of fruit to curry or meat and salad, she is 7 months too, don't stress too much by how much they are eating food before one is just for fun! And yes it is messy, an easy to clean high chair, a drop mat and a near by sink to wash bubs hands/legs/face in helps a lot, mostly dd has soiled in the evening the it's straight into the shower!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Trio  (08-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My immediate thought is that he is probably full if you are giving him solids 20 minutes after breast milk. He might also just not be interested - his milk feeds are still keeping him full. If he doesn't seem bothered and you want to keep doing BLW then don't stress - just keep offering him the bits and pieces.

If he seems to choke/gag a lot I'd probably hold off on toast for a while simply because of the crumbs - try a rusk instead maybe?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hannahly For This Useful Post:

hopefully2  (04-03-2012),Trio  (08-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi,

Hugs... starting solids is so stressful (and exciting)... I don't really have any advice, but thought I would put my two cents worth in and bump it up for you, as I don't do BLW...

Have you tried one of those mesh things, bub can hold and chew on that til his hearts content... you can put strawberries, mango, apple, pear, peach, and cooked soft pieces of sweet potato (my 6 month old loves sweet potato), pumpkin, carrot, brocoli, etc... if he is 7 months old, maybe even some toast with avocado on it...

Like I said, not much help, but thought I'd reply to bump it for you...

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We started offering dd solids at 6 months, but it wasn't until 8 months that she started ingesting it. Keep offering but don't feel you have to offer every meal or every day if you don't feel like it. If i starting getting frustrated that she wasn't taking in much, i would take a break from offering so any negativity wasn't coming out.

My DD also gagged abit at the start, and i started to question if we were doing the right thing. Have you read the book "Baby Led Weaning"? It helped me to understand the mechanics of eating and the differences between gagging and choking. If there are specific foods that your little one gags on, it is ok to give those foods a rest for now. If i was feeling a little fragile, i would go for foods that were less likely to lead to gagging.

He will get there! BLS is a great way to begin solids, i will do the same thing with my 2nd.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Trio  (08-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What have you tried him on so far?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly I think starting solids is way harder than getting breastfeeding going. At least I knew he wouldn't gag on milk!

It's good to know that it may take till 8months for some major swallowing, He does get bits in his poop so a little goes down.

So far he has had Carrot in sticks, pumpkin and sweet potato in lumps, pealed kiwi fruit, pear and plum halves, broccoli, beans, mash potatoe piles, mince, a strip of steak, Banana on toast, and banana with a bit of skin for grip left on. Some foods he squishes so far into his mouth it goes up his nose. others like carrot stick break off into very choky looking sizes.

I think I get more worried after every feed and he gets better a putting the food into his mouth.

Any ideas on any high iron foods I could try?

Thanks for all your replies, I think reassurance is probably what I need most!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Gagging isn't choking, he has never had anything but milk so is learning how to manipulate it in his mouth.

My son didn't swallow food until about 12 months.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I did BLW with DD and she didn't get the hang of it until she was about 8 or 9 months. I found a few foods that she really liked and I think this helped. Her staples were strawberries, cruskits, ravioli and avocado.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Trio  (08-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi guys, I'd be really wary of carrot sticks (unless steamed till v soft) and toast for a seven month old. He's going from liquids, so needs things to be really palatable. Toast would be way too dry i'd reckon, unless the bub has lots of experience. Stick to mashes and purees, and really soft raw fruits and veg.

We use spoon feeding, but it's always bub led ~ if he wants it, he'll open up, if not, he'll turn away.

Always on empty tum, then offered a bottle/breast as top-up. He vacuums it down. Is 8mo today. Maybe you could put some on your finger for him to slurp off if you don't want to use a spoon.

The iron content is important. This is why solids at 6m is recommended ~ after 6m a baby's iron store built up whilst in the womb is starting to run low. Also apparently it's a window in which new flavours and textures can be adapted to easily.

I'd go back to mash and puree for a bit, but I do err on the side of caution, as I don't know how good my anti-choking skills would be in an emergency. Gagging is normal, but choking is a real hazard.