Closed Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am certain the cassowary is the modern day velociraptor. They scare the pants off me, but are fascinating in the same way velociraptors are fascinating.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (29-03-2012),Leeee  (04-03-2012),twotrunks  (04-03-2012)

Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post
    evolution. without a doubt.
    i'm a scientist at heart and believe in hard evidence. as a paleontology major at university i have seen a lot.....

simply evolution is like a family tree. stromatolites were the first 'living' structure with algal cells. over various parts of the world in different environmental conditions, life formed and over millions of years evolved and branched out into different forms of living creatures.

all living creatures need water, temperature and some kind of food to survive which is what links us.

i can't fathom how people simply dismiss the evidence of the fossil record and believe in a book written by an unknown person instead. but that is just me and my opinion.

i have nothing against religion, i think it helps a lot of people. i guess my religion is just science.
    i'm not dismissing the fossil record. i just don't think that we developed from a single-cell organism, i think that animals and humans were deliberately created in some form and have since evolved in to the form they/we are today. i quite enjoy science in an i-like-it-but-i-don't-want-to-study-it kinda way, but i think it works too well to have just come about by accident.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leeee For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (04-03-2012),Deserama  (05-03-2012)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Didnt read any replies. Replying only to the OP and not in response to anything anyone else may have said/questioned.

Evolution for me.
    I dont believe in the 'story' about creation...Why? Well, you play chinese whispers and see how long it takes for the line to be completely changed. I cant believe that a story can go for that long and be twisted and formed into something that is soooo far from the original.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeee View Post
    i quite enjoy science in an i-like-it-but-i-don't-want-to-study-it kinda way, but i think it works too well to have just come about by accident.
    I think it works so well BY accident. You see the same things in behavioural science. A rat accidentally presses a lever and gets food. Over a period of a time the rat learns that you press the lever and you get food.

Examples in the animal kingdom would be that when trees in northern England got blackened with pollution, a species of moth changed from white to black. They didn't change overnight. Rather, the white ones got spotted easily by predators and eaten, so it became more common for black to breed with black. Over time they all became black, and they survived.

To me that's not perfect design - that's a species staying alive because it evolved. There are, of course, many species that didn't evolve and haven't survived too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Evolution makes sense to me, can't comprehend creation!

Thanks
    Reviews
    for those saying they believe in evolution - but man is different.

what sets us apart from the other animals in our world?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post
    evolution. without a doubt.
    i'm a scientist at heart and believe in hard evidence. as a paleontology major at university i have seen a lot.....

simply evolution is like a family tree. stromatolites were the first 'living' structure with algal cells. over various parts of the world in different environmental conditions, life formed and over millions of years evolved and branched out into different forms of living creatures.

all living creatures need water, temperature and some kind of food to survive which is what links us.

i can't fathom how people simply dismiss the evidence of the fossil record and believe in a book written by an unknown person instead. but that is just me and my opinion.

i have nothing against religion, i think it helps a lot of people. i guess my religion is just science.
    I believe in evolution AND creation. The 2 are not (for me) mutually exclusive.

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    I don't know how to seperate quotes - so I've bolded some bits.

I lke the idea of a metaphor. thing is some people take it literally. as in adam and eve REALLY were created from dirt and then eve from a rib.
    Metaphor would be... from the earth life came, and flesh gives birth to flesh?
    Literally - a dude was made from dirt and his wife from his rib.

Cultivating food has only been around since The Agricultural Revolution. before that man was nomadic. there are still nomadic tribes around today.

I don't believe clothes originally came about to protect our modesty - they came about to keep 'us' [our ancestors] warm.
    It is society that has given us the idea of modesty.

some ancestors were (well the fossils we ahve found and named were..it is really not easy for fossils to be formed - that is why they are so rare)
    Australopithicus, Homo habilis, Homo erectus, Homo sapiens, Homosapiens neanderthalensis --- Homo sapiens. theya re all individuals - but connected/related
    A quick search said the earliest evidence of man cultivating soil was in the middle east and dates between 14500 and 12000 BC. I don't know exact date of when genesis was written, but I'd believe those people could have been cultivating soil and so perhaps its where man had evolved to?? We do heavily rely on this and shapes our evolution from cave man? I don't know. This could also be metaphorically.

Clothing, if we are taking the evolution past the cave man to when man started to use the land in some way? I believe those people would dress for more than warmth and again, clothes are a part of evolution of man, society. The bible takes us to man as we know man today. This is why I think evolution co-exists with the bible and God. Man needing to wear clothes and to feel shame was an evolutionary process, I don't believe it just happened. The story of Eve and the serpent I tae as a metaphor.

(sorry trying to type and concentrate with a baby, its not happening )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeee View Post
    i'm not dismissing the fossil record. i just don't think that we developed from a single-cell organism, i think that animals and humans were deliberately created in some form and have since evolved in to the form they/we are today. i quite enjoy science in an i-like-it-but-i-don't-want-to-study-it kinda way, but i think it works too well to have just come about by accident.
    Evolution by natural selection is about as far from an accident as you can get. Mutation is random, but natural selection is not.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Northerly For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (04-03-2012),Sariele  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    A quick search said the earliest evidence of man cultivating soil was in the middle east and dates between 14500 and 12000 BC. I don't know exact date of when genesis was written, but I'd believe those people could have been cultivating soil and so perhaps its where man had evolved to?? We do heavily rely on this and shapes our evolution from cave man? I don't know. This could also be metaphorically.

Clothing, if we are taking the evolution past the cave man to when man started to use the land in some way? I believe those people would dress for more than warmth and again, clothes are a part of evolution of man, society. The bible takes us to man as we know man today. This is why I think evolution co-exists with the bible and God. Man needing to wear clothes and to feel shame was an evolutionary process, I don't believe it just happened. The story of Eve and the serpent I tae as a metaphor.

(sorry trying to type and concentrate with a baby, its not happening )

Nope - it happened all over the word. Not just in the Middle East. Same as 'Man' [in it's entirety] did not come from only the Middle East.

I agree The Bible may tell the story of the life in middle eastern society - and it has spread and been adapted throughout other socities. but it doesn't explain ALL of the world.

If you have another google.. look up 'Neolithic Revolution'

ETA> we don't NEED to feel shame. Shame is a social construct.
    There ARE societies that don't wear clothes, they don't feel shame... and all is good in their little tribe.
    Yes OUR society reinforces this thng that we need to be ashamed of our bodies, we really shouldn't.. but THAT is another thread...
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 04-03-2012 at 20:11.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (05-03-2012)

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast