Closed Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by relle View Post
    The thing I want to know, is why, if we came from apes, have the apes stopped evolving into humans!! I'm no good at any of this.. Some interesting reads though
    Humans did not evolve from apes. We share a common ancestor, that is all.

People focus on apes, as genetically they are closer to us than many other animals, but in fact we know that all living creatures (and even plants) are 'related' to us and have evolved from the same material.

From studying DNA we can tell which animals are closer genetically than others.

Evolution is a very slow process, and changes happen over millions of years.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (04-03-2012),trishalishous  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Evolution.

The basic tenets of evolution can be tested and verified to be true. We have many examples of species that have adapted to their environments and evolved (over time) into something quite different.

Scientists do not claim to know everything, but principles that are held to be true (e.g., things like gravity, the fact that the world is round, calculations for speed/ velocity, etc.) can all be tested and verified in numerous ways.

I am not against religion, but I don't find religious principles useful for explaining the way in which the world works.

Religious and supernatural beliefs have not yet been shown to be testable, predictable, reliable, or true, whereas scientific beliefs have.

I fear that the next part of what am I about to say may offend some, but I do not mean it with any ill intent. I think it is hard for more scientifically minded people to understand how someone can believe in creationism and, I will be honest, I often feel that people who do not believe in evolution often have a very limited (or incorrect) understanding of it.

I don't have any issue with someone believing in any God or being of their choosing, but to me to deny evolution is akin to holding on to a conviction that the earth is flat.

I'll repeat, my issue is not with religious belief, but with denial of scientific findings, and insistence that something is not true without understanding what it is about.

I'm wary entering this debate, as I know the potential for offence is high. I apologise now if my comments upset anyone. I am being very honest about how I feel here, but I am also trying to tread respectfully.
    I really like this post and it sums up what I would say in a much better way than I could.
    I am a scientist and yes, I do struggle with the concept of creationism...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kezanazz For This Useful Post:

breakthemould  (04-03-2012),Guest654  (04-03-2012),Sariele  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Apes haven't stopped evolving.

The best way I can attempt at explaining it is..

we shared a common ancestor.

much like you and your cousins have a common family, but you are not exactly the same.

We didn't 'come from' chimpanzees' ..but the chimpanzees we know today branched off in one direction and adapted to their environment and homo sapiens branched off in another direction and adpated to their environment.
    Our great ancestors dies out, became extinct.

Both Chimpanzees and Bonobos (our closest cousins) use tools - just like we do. Our Bodies are VERY much alike...because we are from the same family.

I can find similarities in other parts of nature if you like - or we can just stick with primates??
    Oops - I was busy typing my reply and didn't see you'd already answered that one!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

breakthemould  (04-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Evolution...for the reasons everyone else has stated.
    I just can't get my head around creationism. It's a lovely idea, but way too far fetched for me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nicoletta For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (04-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Evolution. It makes my brain hurt to try and understand creation. I just can't picture a God (whatever he may look like? But thats a whole other topic!) clicking his fingers and POOF a man and woman appear. There is so much evidence to support evolution, evidence which cannot be discredited, but what evidence is there of creation?

Obviously I am a total atheist, and I don't mean to offend but I don't understand religion or how people can believe in religion or ghosts or supernatural. I went to a religious school for 12 years and never bought into creation for a second, it just doesnt make sense to me.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to breakthemould For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (05-03-2012),Tainted  (04-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    With limited knowledge of the bible and science, I believe God created the world in seven 'days', as in probably over millions of years, and evolving at the time. I believe the world, animals, humans, everything has evolved over time, I actually don't know how we could not have. I don't believe humans and animals were ever the same thing, although we are similar in many ways physically, I think our brain, our social organisation, moral compass, language etc is just too different and I believe, as per creationism that we were created separately. I realise maybe humans have just evolved faster/further, hence our higher intelligence etc, but don't think this is the case.

As sassy said, it's an issue I actually don't give a lot of thought, I don't really care that much, what others believe about it has no effect on me and vice versa. I realise others have more scientific knowledge while I have a stronger faith base.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some people have asked where evolution 'started'. I guess this brings us to the big bang theory (no, not the show...)

We know, through measurement of light and soundwaves, that all the galaxies in the known universe are rushing away from each other - which means that the universe is expanding. (We don't fly off the earth, or anything like that, due to gravitational forces).

We can look at the expansion that has happened, and work backwards to the point at which the galaxies converged. We can calculate the time when this happened as about 13-14 billion years ago.

Evolutionists believe that biological processes (life) started at this point, and came from chemical processes. There are a number of theories about how the first cell may have come about, including that our environment may have supported random chains of protein rich enzymes, that were able to replicate and (over millions of years) develop in to more complex cells and organisms.

We know that cells do evolve to become more complex over the years, and to us this seems the most likely explanation.

Finding the Higgs Boson will be an important development in modern science, as finding this particle will confirm our current models of physics, as well as showing how 'something' can come from 'nothing'. We are getting closer to this all the time, and recent discoveries have made it look more likely that we are on the right track here.

I am massively simplifying everything, so as not to make everyone fall asleep, but hopefully that's a basic overview and makes some sense!

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (04-03-2012),halloweendee  (04-03-2012),Luna Lovegood  (04-03-2012),Ra Ra Superstar  (05-03-2012),shelle65  (05-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (04-03-2012),trishalishous  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Creation by faith

Logically speaking, if we want to go there, it makes more sense to me that there always was a higher power (God) and that he just is and was always there rather than the belief that gas is and was always there. I want to know what came before the gas, how did it get there and what made them do it's thing and how they so happen to do all these wonderful magical things. I can't accept that we all came from nothing. The old watch in the forest thing, if you find a watch in the forest you KNOW that someone created it and put it there....it didn't just happen it defies logic!

I do believe in 'micro' evolution or adaptation. I think that animals and people can adapt to their environment over millions of years or whatever and I think God created them to do so. Just don't believe in whole species evolving into a whole new species or anything.

I'm not interested in arguing this so I won't. I've heard all the arguments and the answers only go so far back....there is a flaw with the evolutionary theory. And my logic tells me that there shouldn't be. That's my take on it and that's that.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (29-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's all theoretical. The fact is, we have no way to know, without a doubt, where and even when it all began. We only have theories. Obviously the one I have come up with through a lot of research and soul searching is what makes the most sense to me, and therefore is what I really, truly believe happened. But I have no hard scientific evidence to prove to everyone else, so it's still just one person's theory that we came from the ocean.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    Creation by faith

Logically speaking, if we want to go there, it makes more sense to me that there always was a higher power (God) and that he just is and was always there rather than the belief that gas is and was always there. I want to know what came before the gas, how did it get there and what made them do it's thing and how they so happen to do all these wonderful magical things. I can't accept that we all came from nothing. The old watch in the forest thing, if you find a watch in the forest you KNOW that someone created it and put it there....it didn't just happen it defies logic!

I do believe in 'micro' evolution or adaptation. I think that animals and people can adapt to their environment over millions of years or whatever and I think God created them to do so. Just don't believe in whole species evolving into a whole new species or anything.

I'm not interested in arguing this so I won't. I've heard all the arguments and the answers only go so far back....there is a flaw with the evolutionary theory. And my logic tells me that there shouldn't be. That's my take on it and that's that.
    This exactly.

I find the idea that a higher power created things a lot easier concept to understand and believe than gases and chemicals somehow reacted and made a cell, which then somehow became people, animals, plants, water etc etc. I want to know where the original components came from too!

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast