Closed Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    To discuss creation you have to also discuss the beginning of the planet/universe. Creation involves Genesis 1 and its the beginning, its a chronology of what God created, and the first sentence is 'In the beginning, God created heaven and earth' Then it goes on about (this isn't in order) light and day and night, light for night and day (ie sun and moon) water, land, vegetation, sea creatures, living things on land, time and then he created man.
    It says 7 days, I think this a metaphor.
    When I look at the theory of how the world began, the universe, they have the big bang theory. What follows after the big bang? Light, stars, planets, earth, sun, moon water on earth, land on earth, living organisms, sea creatures, vegetation, animals, insects and man is last. To me the story of creation in genesis 1 is a simplified version of the big bang theory and how they think our world evolved. I find it interesting that whoever wrote Genesis had a good grasp on the chronology of events that made earth and man?
    Anyway.
    In genesis 1 it says God created man on the 6th day in the likeness of him.
    In genesis 2 it says the heavens and earth were complete and he rested. Then it talks about how there were no shrubs or trees yet because there was no rain and he created Adam from soil to cultivate the land. THIS is where I think the story overlaps into evolution vs creationism.
    How does God create man in his likeness on the 6th day and then go onto to say he then made Adam from dirt after the 7days of creation? Could this mean Gods creation of man was what would evolve to Adam, the humans as we know them today that can cultivate food, marry and Eves sin to then give them shame (because they hid and realised they were naked) Is the sin by Eve a metaphor for how humans evolved into beings that needed to be clothed and felt shame?
    I think the bible (IMO) doesn't reject evolution, but talks about it, its just explained simply and with alot of metaphors. But how can we reject science and evolution? I don't take everything literally in the bible and its open for interpretation.
    BUT I believe God created these things, because I believe in God I don't believe in just science or that it came about by chance.

As for man evolving from apes. I'm not sure. I do believe in evolution, but I also don't believe 100% in scientific theories. I've seen alot about new discoveries in fossils and missing links in the chronology of ape to man but were these species seperate to humans? Are humans their own species that evolved individually? Its all possible.

LIly - this is what I am reading - is that what you are refering to?

I'm not 'baiting' you

..I'm trying to understand you!

It's a bit tricky to understand 'genesis' when a few people have mentioned they take it differently..
    Literally & Metaphorically.
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 04-03-2012 at 22:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Creation. World made in 7 days, exactly how it is written in Genesis.

My little munchkin due May 2012! So to keep me busy till then, I'm learning how to use my iPhone.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (29-03-2012),Pawzette  (04-03-2012)

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    LIly - this is what I am reading - is that what you are refering to?

I'm not 'baiting' you

..I'm trying to understand you!
    Ask your question again and read my last paragraph, if you only see a mention of apes and nothing else, I can't make you understand anything I'm saying. Just move on.
    This is getting ridiculous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    Ask your question again and read my last paragraph, if you only see a mention of apes and nothing else, I can't make you understand anything I'm saying. Just move on.
    This is getting ridiculous.
    I opened the thread as a discussion and a debate.

You say god created humans on the 6th day and then on the 7th gave them the tools to be man as we know it today?

..is that it?

I seriously don't follow.

Remember this is the stuff that is being attempted to be taught to my children in school - I'm trying to get a graps on it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by maria02 View Post
    Creation. World made in 7 days, exactly how it is written in Genesis.

My little munchkin due May 2012! So to keep me busy till then, I'm learning how to use my iPhone.
    I though it was 6 days and on the 7th he rested?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

sunnyflower  (04-03-2012)

Guest Guest
    I opened the thread as a discussion and a debate.

You say god created humans on the 6th day and then on the 7th gave them the tools to be man as we know it today?

..is that it?

I seriously don't follow.

Remember this is the stuff that is being attempted to be taught to my children in school - I'm trying to get a graps on it.
    Pretty sure it's not what I said. Where did I say "on the 7th gave them tools to be man as we know it today" can you quote where I said that?

I don't think they'd be teaching your kids MY theory on creation vs evolution??

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (05-03-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    For those who believe in creation 100% - what do you make of evolution? What do you make of fossils etc? Can you share your opinion on these things?

Is it just something you completely reject, and if so, why?

Obviously only answer if you feel comfortable having this discussion...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I would like to know what you are suggesting existed on teh '6th day' that stopped being what it was being and became man?
    I believe this is LOTN's answer

How does God create man in his likeness on the 6th day and then go onto to say he then made Adam from dirt after the 7days of creation? Could this mean Gods creation of man was what would evolve to Adam, the humans as we know them today that can cultivate food, marry and Eves sin to then give them shame (because they hid and realised they were naked) Is the sin by Eve a metaphor for how humans evolved into beings that needed to be clothed and felt shame?
    I think the bible (IMO) doesn't reject evolution, but talks about it, its just explained simply and with alot of metaphors. But how can we reject science and evolution? I don't take everything literally in the bible and its open for interpretation.
    BUT I believe God created these things, because I believe in God I don't believe in just science or that it came about by chance.

I think she's been clear in her answer in that she doesn't have them all - the answers that is.
    Last edited by misskittyfantastico; 04-03-2012 at 22:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    no you didn't.

You said something about god creating something that would evolve to be Adam [as a metaphor for man] someone that would cultivate (use tools) etc.

I think?

I'm not sure - that is why I am asking.

The school may not be teaching YOUR idea - but they are attempting to teach Creation.
    The basis of Christianity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    can I make it clear that I don't mean to be 'hounding' Lily... but we spoke in other previos threads and agreed a chat about thi stopic would be interesting ..I see it as a continuation of that.