Closed Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I should also say that anyone who is genuinely interested in the evidence for evolution should read 'Why Evolution Is True' by Jerry Coyne. It's a very accessible, easy to read summary of why evolution is a fact.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Northerly For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (04-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I believe it Creation. A literal 6 day (each day being 24 hours) creation.

This website explains what I believe and is good if you are wanting to know where what literal creationists like myself believe, and why.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/get-answers

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RainbowSky For This Useful Post:

Pawzette  (04-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RainbowSky View Post
    I believe it Creation. A literal 6 day (each day being 24 hours) creation.

This website explains what I believe and is good if you are wanting to know where what literal creationists like myself believe, and why.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/get-answers
    Chico: ‘You know, my whole family was a-sailors. My father was a-partners with Columbus.’

Groucho: ‘Columbus has been dead four hundred years!’

Chico: (Pause) ‘Well, they told me it was my father.’

Marx Brothers fans loved ridiculous lines like that. They may not have been overly funny, but their wackiness gained them fans over several generations.

Let’s apply that Monkey Business theme to the creation–evolution issue.

Person A: ‘You know, my whole family was once ape-like creatures. My ancestors were small chimp-like animals called autralopithecines, which have been found as fossils.’

Person B: ‘But there are no fossils to prove that australopithecines evolved into humans.’

Person A: ‘Well, they told me they were my ancestors.’

Many people would see the first dialogue as humorously ridiculous, but would dismiss the second as simplistic or even wrong.

THIS is used as argument AGAINST evolution on that site!

eeek.

and THIS just shows that 'creationists' still don't 'get it'.

Australopithecines did NOT evolve directly 'into' humans [as we now them].

They didn't 'become' humans.

but they are related.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (05-03-2012),Witwicky  (04-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    THIS is used as argument AGAINST evolution on that site!

eeek.

and THIS just shows that 'creationists' still don't 'get it'.

Australopithecines did NOT evolve directly 'into' humans [as we now them].

They didn't 'become' humans.

but they are related.
    Ah, we get it. Well I can only speak for myself but I do get what you're saying. I just don't agree.

And with that, I am respectfully bowing out of this thread. Not that you've been rude but I have had my beliefs ridiculed time and time again on similar threads online and IRL and I just don't want to go there again so I probably shouldn't have said anything.

If you read a little more on that site, you might get a bigger picture of what people like me believe regarding creation and a young earth.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RainbowSky For This Useful Post:

Pawzette  (04-03-2012)

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Nope - it happened all over the word. Not just in the Middle East. Same as 'Man' [in it's entirety] did not come from only the Middle East.

I agree The Bible may tell the story of the life in middle eastern society - and it has spread and been adapted throughout other socities. but it doesn't explain ALL of the world.

If you have another google.. look up 'Neolithic Revolution'

ETA> we don't NEED to feel shame. Shame is a social construct.
    There ARE societies that don't wear clothes, they don't feel shame... and all is good in their little tribe.
    Yes OUR society reinforces this thng that we need to be ashamed of our bodies, we really shouldn't.. but THAT is another thread...
    I'm afraid I missed your point entirely. I was responding to your original post:
    Cultivating food has only been around since The Agricultural Revolution. before that man was nomadic. there are still nomadic tribes around today.
    How did this relate to my original post?
    The neolithic revolution said 10-7000 BC and was scattered, however the earliest I posted was 14500BC in the middle east (this is the earliest evidence they have found so far, it could have been even before that) But yeah, I don't know what the original point is or what your trying to say going back to my first post?

In my first post I mentioned that genesis could have been written at a time where agriculture was taking place and mans evolution ie. Adam, taking place from then. We're talking 14500BC and possibly earlier. My sugesstion is Adam is the metaphor for modern man, before that Genesis said he created man in Gods likeness, but Adam came after this is Genesis 2 and it says Adam was created to cultivate the land. So to me this is talking about modern man. I believe once we started cultivating land we evolved to what we are today.

Feeling of shame. Yes perhaps God is saying you never need to feel shame, or you never needed to, God asked "who taught you you are naked" hence the metaphor with Eve and the serpent. This could also mean our minds evolving, something so simple "who taught you to know you are naked"? I think is an interesting thing to think about, how did our minds evolve to know we are naked? Is this the thing that seperated us from previous beings to become modern man?
    The people who are still nomads I don't really know what they feel or know, but assuming they don't feel shame and can walk completely naked, perhaps they are spared by the "serpent" tricking them. What is the metaphor for serpent??? Society???
    This is not the only thing, genesis talks about alot of things that every woman on earth feels, labour pangs, bleeding etc. This was only a very small part.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Lily - can I just clarify.

are you saying man existed before 'Adam'?

(sorry I thought you took the Bible literally - so you have confused me)

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    To discuss creation you have to also discuss the beginning of the planet/universe. Creation involves Genesis 1 and its the beginning, its a chronology of what God created, and the first sentence is 'In the beginning, God created heaven and earth' Then it goes on about (this isn't in order) light and day and night, light for night and day (ie sun and moon) water, land, vegetation, sea creatures, living things on land, time and then he created man.
    It says 7 days, I think this a metaphor.
    When I look at the theory of how the world began, the universe, they have the big bang theory. What follows after the big bang? Light, stars, planets, earth, sun, moon water on earth, land on earth, living organisms, sea creatures, vegetation, animals, insects and man is last. To me the story of creation in genesis 1 is a simplified version of the big bang theory and how they think our world evolved. I find it interesting that whoever wrote Genesis had a good grasp on the chronology of events that made earth and man?
    Anyway.
    In genesis 1 it says God created man on the 6th day in the likeness of him.
    In genesis 2 it says the heavens and earth were complete and he rested. Then it talks about how there were no shrubs or trees yet because there was no rain and he created Adam from soil to cultivate the land. THIS is where I think the story overlaps into evolution vs creationism.
    How does God create man in his likeness on the 6th day and then go onto to say he then made Adam from dirt after the 7days of creation? Could this mean Gods creation of man was what would evolve to Adam, the humans as we know them today that can cultivate food, marry and Eves sin to then give them shame (because they hid and realised they were naked) Is the sin by Eve a metaphor for how humans evolved into beings that needed to be clothed and felt shame?
    I think the bible (IMO) doesn't reject evolution, but talks about it, its just explained simply and with alot of metaphors. But how can we reject science and evolution? I don't take everything literally in the bible and its open for interpretation.
    BUT I believe God created these things, because I believe in God I don't believe in just science or that it came about by chance.

As for man evolving from apes. I'm not sure. I do believe in evolution, but I also don't believe 100% in scientific theories. I've seen alot about new discoveries in fossils and missing links in the chronology of ape to man but were these species seperate to humans? Are humans their own species that evolved individually? Its all possible.
    Without repeating myself I'll quote what I said. I can't highlight because I'm on the phone, but if you read my 3rd last paragraph.

Guest Guest
    Oh and yes, I think its possible man (modern man ie. Adam being the metaphor) evolved from what God created on the 6th day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    Oh and yes, I think its possible man (modern man ie. Adam being the metaphor) evolved from what God created on the 6th day.
    which was what?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the prehistoric dolphin was called something like eurhinodelphis? It's taken me all day to think of it. Sorry, as you were...
    Last edited by share a book; 04-03-2012 at 21:45.