+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Ok I need massive help!!

Yesterday we adopted 8yr old ragdollx cat named Bella
    She is a great cat...however it's not working.
    She's scared to leave the spare room...the dog won't leave her alone and as Bella is older she is set in her ways. Hates dogs..so I don't see this working. What can I do?????? Our dog is an inside/outside dog and this won't change...help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not leaving the room would be normal I think - my cats wouldn't leave the spare room for a week when we moved into our new house.

Unfortunately with the dog thing... My dog still harasses my cats CONSTANTLY and we've had him since Oct 2010. No amount of yelling, smacks on the bum or banishing him outside have made a difference. Not saying there is no hope for your pup, just my experience.

Maybe google could help with some ideas about your dog? Or the vets?

If theres no other option... Can she go back to where she came from? Or maybe you could try to re-home her yoursel?

Good luck! xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We took in a stray just last week. It took days for her to eat, and she only came out to eat and use the litter tray late at night and only because I put them in the living room. It's only been last night and this morning she has been near us. I would give the cat at least a few days to settle in. Good luck, our new kitty isn't working out either for different reasons. Heartbreaking isn't it, but give kitty even up to a week at that age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i thought it was actually suggested that a cat be contained to one room for a day or two when at a new home to settle in

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cats are funny creatures. They love routines and habits. Give her time. She will eventually come out. It might take a week or two for her to settle. Just be patient and don't force it. If you can, leave some water in there for her and maybe a few bits of food. It'll take time but it will be worth it when she settles. It's perfectly normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Give it time.

A cat in a new environment will take at least a week to settle in.

When we added a cat to our family that included a dog, it took a few weeks for the cat to settle and the dog to relax. The dog will eventually tire of the cat and leave it alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The only thing is, she's not litter trained and I'm scared to let her go outside incase she runs off

I'm getting litter today to see if she will use it...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I definitely wouldn't let her out. Cats need to be used to their home first. Provide the litter and keep your fingers crossed. You might have a few messes but she'll soon learn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I introduce new animals to the house I take them straight into their own room and put down water, food and litter and leave the door of the carrier open. I leave a towel or blanket in the room that I have had the other house animals lay on, play with etc so their smells are on it.

After a few hours I go on and sit and let the animal approach me, have a clean towel with you and let the animal smell it and put their scent on it.

Take that towel out to the other pets.

A good way to relax all the animals is to put a drop or two of rescue remedy in their water prior to any physical introductions. Good luck.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparker View Post
    When I introduce new animals to the house I take them straight into their own room and put down water, food and litter and leave the door of the carrier open. I leave a towel or blanket in the room that I have had the other house animals lay on, play with etc so their smells are on it.

After a few hours I go on and sit and let the animal approach me, have a clean towel with you and let the animal smell it and put their scent on it.

Take that towel out to the other pets.

A good way to relax all the animals is to put a drop or two of rescue remedy in their water prior to any physical introductions. Good luck.
    What she said ^^

Like everyone has said, give it time. Bella is probably terrified and isnt looking to come snuggle with complete strangers right now.