+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tweaking sleep patterns

My DD is now self-settling with varying degrees of success for 2-3 day naps and at night. But her sleep patterns are all over the place!

How do I tweak them into a more predictable pattern rather than finding out each morning how the day may pan out?

We are feeding 3.5-4 hourly having recently broken a feed to sleep habit which had her feeding every 1-1.5 hrs during the day.

I time her feeds based on her first feed of the day. Eg. If she fed at 2am and woke for the day at 7, I'd time her feeds from 7am. If she feeds at 6am and wakes at 9, I'd time her feeds from 6. Does that sound ok?
    TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP, We go with the flow here depending on what time DS wakes, but if you wanted to set more predictable times you could say that 7am is always the first feed and time from there. That would mean waking bubs up if she slept past 7 or keeping them entertained if they work earlier, so depends on how you feel about doing this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with ilovehats. Set a time in the morning that works for you. So regardless of when she wakes and has fed last, always start the day at the time you want the first feed.

Eg: if she wakes at 4am, feeds then back to sleep, wake her at 7am and feed then. Her body will realise after a few day that this is wake up/feed time and make it easier for you to plan other feeds. Then if you want to feed every, say 4 hours, then you know at 11am, 3pm, 7pm and 11pm, she will be fed.

Can I ask how old your DD is?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for those ideas. I'll give them some thought.

She is 17 weeks and fully breastfed. We are just trying to get into a feed, play, sleep routine after having a sleep, play, feed to crappy sleep pattern.

An issue is tho that she is hard to resettle if she wakes at 45 mins and is almost impossible to get down again if she's had a short sleep. This leads back into a play, feed, sleep pattern though now she is awake when she goes into her cot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Firstly - congrats on your bub self settling and breaking the feed-to-sleep habit. Sounds like you have done an awesome job so far! How old is your DD?

I'm in the same boat - my 6mth DS is pretty good during the day now, but as we were getting up at diff times each morning, our days varied. I've now started ensuring the first feed of the day is 7-7.30. That way we have a good idea of nap times each day now and can plan better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MunchkinsMum1 View Post

An issue is tho that she is hard to resettle if she wakes at 45 mins and is almost impossible to get down again if she's had a short sleep. This leads back into a play, feed, sleep pattern though now she is awake when she goes into her cot.
    My DS has just started finally settling past the 45min mark regularly in the past few weeks (6mth now). We also go by the feed-play-sleep and I didn't change it - if bubs woke too early I would try and stretch out the feed. I spent so long trying to resettle him every time, but he eventually worked it out himself anyway!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

She is 17 weeks and fully breastfed. We are just trying to get into a feed, play, sleep routine after having a sleep, play, feed to crappy sleep pattern.

Oh, something that helped DD get past that 45 minutes, I would go in right on 40 minutes and very very softly pat her leg or tummy, have my eyes closed and as quietly as I could manage "shhhhhh", she did stir, but I found it helped her get past that complete wake up at 45 minutes.

Thanks
    Reviews

I think play feed play sleep is fine as long as she is awake when you put her to down for a sleep.

Sometime my DS doesn't sleep past 45 mins, and sometimes he does. If he wakes up happy after 45 mins then I don't stress about it, just feed and next sleep is a little earlier than planned.