+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default DS being overly silly/ attention seeking when new bf is around

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right section, but I figure that a few of you here might have had similar experience in the past, and may be able to help!

I have been with my partner for 4 months now, and can see this being a long-term relationship. My DS, who is 5, really likes him and gets on well with him, is always talking about him, and says he likes it when he is over. He actually prefers spending time with my partner than his own father (which is kind of sad, but thats another story..)

However, when my partner is over, DS becomes very boisterous, acting extremely silly and disruptive in order to gain attention. We do make sure that we do activities which DS will also enjoy, and include him in the conversation. Based from conversations that I've had with DS, I'm guessing that he does indeed like my partner, but he's a bit jealous that all of my attention is not focused soley on him.

Any tips/advice on things that we can do, or ways to manage this behaviour? It's starting to really stress me out, as he just becomes uncontrollable
    Last edited by ~ElectricPink~; 04-03-2012 at 15:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    *bump*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey there!

We had similar issues. My 2 weren't disruptive but they used to get incredibly ridiculous when (then) DP would come over.
    I honestly have no advice as DH would get just as ridiculously silly WITH them!
    We let it run its course...they would sit on or near us on the couch, and were stuck like glue to us every possible minute.
    We had our "us" time when they were at their dads. Does your DS go to his dads? Thats the time we would go out to dinner, movies etc.
    Otherwise it was after they went to bed.

The STILL get ridiculous with DH..they get so loud I want to kill them all I lost it the other night because they playing chasey (oh yes, 28 yr old DH too) in the house while I was trying to cook dinner

The relationship is still newish at 4 months so your DP is still a novelty for your DS...maybe wait a little longer and see if he settles when he realises that DP will still be around and paying him attention, and he gets used to sharing you Just keep doing what you are doing I'd say

Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RunningWithScissors For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (04-03-2012)